Post your questions here

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Henshin1

Post your questions here

Post by Henshin1 »

Hi guys. I thought I'd start this thread because theres some things I wanted to ask about the in game gameplay, and I'm sure many others have questions they want to ask. So until we have a specific section for these kinds of discussions, I suppose a small advice thread would be nifty.

I was wondering about something ingame that always seemed to put me in a bad spot. Sometimes when I was in the air and probably reached the apex of my jump already, I noticed I'd be falling to the floor helplessly and unable to dash away. This always put me in a bad position because, until I hit the floor, I was a sitting duck and easily targetted by a heavy attack. More so worse by a CC attack. Is there any way I can do something to escape this situation? Or is the only way to avoid it to not be airborne so long as to not be able to dash. As much as I tried to avoid it though I often found every couple of rounds I'd be caught in this situation thinking "Dang it, I've done it again".

There was also something else I wanted to ask about too.. but I forgot what it was. lol. I'll post again if I remember.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Post your questions here

Post by MentholMoose »

You can control your VR during the decent. Move forward/backward and left/right. Also you can control the rate of decent... input jump to slow the decent, input crouch to speed up. Pay attention to the opponent and try to avoid their attack.
MentholMoose
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

oh i just tried it in practice mode and i realized my timing on the crouching was too early so it seemed i could only float down slowly.
I think i have the hang of it now. Thanks MM
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

In such slow landing scenarios I tend to try to land my VR in some unexpected place, like on an environment object. It's pretty useful against people sometimes as it messes up their landing catches and also makes you regain your abilities faster.

I have a question about Cyphers RT+CW attack, a guide for cypher on gamefaqs says its hitting rate is random but I dont quite buy that. judging from practice mode it always misses if youre too close, didnt check whether or not very far. Anyone have any experience with using this attack? I was guessing it homes well on a certain radius from yourself.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

How to download replays? I looked around in replay menu, and also the gamercard of the players...errr just dunno.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Also when descending from a jump, you can hold a turbo button to rotate faster. I use this a lot.
Davo87 wrote:How to download replays?
Go in the Leaderboard section. You can download the replays of the time attack runs as well as replays chosen to be uploaded by people.
MentholMoose
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Ah thx MM.

What to do if u get caught in Dordrays CD rush, (it circles around u over and over until it hits. I dash out I get hit. I jump, I get hit if its an air version) CD rush has a steeper rotating angle than drill so the spacing is very tight. :?
Frostycyke

Post by Frostycyke »

has anybody done any testing on Aphamrd C's machete throw? Is there a difference between crouching CW, RTCW and jumping RTCW? And does either have any special properties when they hit similair to Dordray's claw/drill?

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
Aya Kyunik

Post by Aya Kyunik »

Jesus christ I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to unlock the Custom VR acheivement, I need to use a custom VR in SINGLE player? o_O
Only time I managed to do such a thing was putting my Dreamcast VMU into the 5.66 machine lol!

And curse this gold subscription card, it wont activate, so I can only play single player for now >.<
moeidolatry.com
The photogenic idolisation of pixel, plastic and nonsense~
Fei-Yen Fever
Rav3nlock

Post by Rav3nlock »

After you've customized a VR from the main screen options and saved it to your hard drive, there's a VMU in the back-right you can select in arcade or score attack and then you can choose your custom VR. Once you select it, I believe, you instantly get the points.
Aya Kyunik

Post by Aya Kyunik »

lol....I just discovered it and came to the boards to say it...then you replied XD

Yea, you can see that I didn't really give the other VRs besides Fei-Yen a go lol

Thanks Rav
moeidolatry.com
The photogenic idolisation of pixel, plastic and nonsense~
Fei-Yen Fever
ranmafan

Post by ranmafan »

Zaarock wrote:In such slow landing scenarios I tend to try to land my VR in some unexpected place, like on an environment object. It's pretty useful against people sometimes as it messes up their landing catches and also makes you regain your abilities faster.

I have a question about Cyphers RT+CW attack, a guide for cypher on gamefaqs says its hitting rate is random but I dont quite buy that. judging from practice mode it always misses if youre too close, didnt check whether or not very far. Anyone have any experience with using this attack? I was guessing it homes well on a certain radius from yourself.
-- Not random. The standing version has a lower arc than the crouching one when firing. It has an effective range of approximately 380-400 or more, depending on the height of the VR. A Cypher veteran friend of mine uses it primarily when the opponent is air-dashing away/towards him, or is descending/ascending. It can also be used to punish opponents who use and miss with a high-delay attack from range. Its only randomness is which direction it goes in if it misses. The explosion itself does very little damage if it misses, but can cancel lower-priority projectiles.

The jumping variation has a better chance of hitting an opponent (better homing) if you double jump to the maximum height before firing. It travels downwards in a curve before levelling off and moving towards the target. However the opponent has to be a fair distance below the Cypher for it to connect.
Davo87 wrote:has anybody done any testing on Aphamrd C's machete throw? Is there a difference between crouching CW, RTCW and jumping RTCW? And does either have any special properties when they hit similair to Dordray's claw/drill?
-- Crouching CW simply does damage similar to the Specineff's wing toss. Cr RTCW sticks to the opponent, but it doesn't seem to do additional damage so I assume it reduces mobility similar to the Claw. I've not tried the jumping variation to be honest so I wouldn't know.
Davo87 wrote:What to do if u get caught in Dordrays CD rush, (it circles around u over and over until it hits. I dash out I get hit. I jump, I get hit if its an air version) CD rush has a steeper rotating angle than drill so the spacing is very tight. :?
-- If you can't avoid the CD Charge, attack. Unlike the drill rush, the CD charge is vulnerable to attacks, and if you're sure you can't dodge it you may as well hurt him back. You can either choose to go with a knockdown attack, or a heavy RT attack depending on your preferences/VR used.

Alternatively, like the Temjin's Surfing Ram, you can attempt to block it. If you see him coming, you can anticipate the double lock on distance and block. It only hits once (Surfing Ram hits twice), then you can punish him with a guard-reversal or jumping CC attack.
commonlogik

Post by commonlogik »

Finishing up a beginner's guide, so hoping to get a quick answer here...

Anyone remember if Curving (or Curve Dashing) was in the original VO:OM?
"My style? You can call it the... the art of fighting without fighting." -- Bruce Lee, Enter The Dragon
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

Really funny what Henshin mentioned, I'm having a brutal problem with it as well, and it never happened on DC. I'm consistently doing an "air-stall" instead of dashing, I've come to determine it's a weird problem with timing, as there seem to be multiple. I wonder if theres a controller thats superior to the 360 main thats not twinsticks....hmmm
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

ranmafan wrote: Alternatively, like the Temjin's Surfing Ram, you can attempt to block it. If you see him coming, you can anticipate the double lock on distance and block. It only hits once (Surfing Ram hits twice), then you can punish him with a guard-reversal or jumping CC attack.
I should make 2 other notes as a temjin player...

You can time your jump, or double jump to avoid the surfing ram, temjin won't follow...

Also, temjin is not invincable during the attack, a strong enough attack will knock temjin out of the ram, and temjin's wepons gauges will still be dry...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

that will help me a bunch! I never thought about double jumping it! haha...
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

somepunk wrote:that will help me a bunch! I never thought about double jumping it! haha...
Alot of people tend to forget about the double jump...I only learned about it sometime late last year ^^;;;;;

a single jump should work just fine, if timed right, or even not timed right....sometimes by random chance ^^
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

commonlogik wrote:Finishing up a beginner's guide, so hoping to get a quick answer here...

Anyone remember if Curving (or Curve Dashing) was in the original VO:OM?
I don't want to give you a definite answer common, because it's been awhile since ive played it, but i'm nearly positive it is. Not 100% sure, though. Sorry. =(
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

For the surfing ram, if I can't block it, I typically duck under it using some crouch attack. The timing for ducking under it is not too strict, I guess since they didn't want the surfing ram to be too powerful.
commonlogik wrote:Anyone remember if Curving (or Curve Dashing) was in the original VO:OM?
I didn't really play the original, so I don't know. Hopefully someone else can answer you soon.
MentholMoose
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

MentholMoose wrote:For the surfing ram, if I can't block it, I typically duck under it using some crouch attack. The timing for ducking under it is not too strict, I guess since they didn't want the surfing ram to be too powerful.
commonlogik wrote:Anyone remember if Curving (or Curve Dashing) was in the original VO:OM?
I didn't really play the original, so I don't know. Hopefully someone else can answer you soon.
It can be blocked?? Woah I didn't see that one coming. lol. I guess I was just never game enough to test it. When you try to crouch below it do you try a dash slide attack? or just crouch on the spot and hold RW or something? I have a problem with dordrays ramming move aswell. Not the CD one, he has another that seems quite annoying. When he does it i dash away but it seems to be able to turn very sharp and still hit. I think even if im landing it can circle around and hit me as I'm coming down. Can dordrays rams be blocked aswell?