Impressions!

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Comrade Pete

Re: Impressions!

Post by Comrade Pete »

I don't know if it's a lack of players in Europe or if it's down to the netcode but I'm finding it really difficult to actually get a game online! Have spent the last hour trawling through lobbies on both ranked & player settings & only managed to get about 5 matches in. Most of the time the lobbies are full of Japanese players (nothing against them but the poor connection speed means that only about 20% off the matches are actually playable :( )

Is anyone else having difficulties finding a game?
Frostycyke

Post by Frostycyke »

My biggest issue is constantly airborn opponent's, mainly cypher players. I try so hard to chase them down, only for them to jump away when I get close and do it all over again. Also my CC needs work, It's getting better, getting the hang of quick-stepping and jumping melee over attacks, but I still need alot work vs actual human opponents, though. Evenpar wrecked me hard last night, I don't think either of us had fun, since I provided no challenge to him at all.

But I may suck at this game, but damnit it's still fun!

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Pete, I'm european and online right now if you want to play. hmm, I should probably free more space in my friends list again, its still at 100
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Frostycyke wrote:My biggest issue is constantly airborn opponent's, mainly cypher players. I try so hard to chase them down, only for them to jump away when I get close and do it all over again. Also my CC needs work, It's getting better, getting the hang of quick-stepping and jumping melee over attacks, but I still need alot work vs actual human opponents, though. Evenpar wrecked me hard last night, I don't think either of us had fun, since I provided no challenge to him at all.

Oh yes. The Eagle of then Vrs. Belongs in the air more than he does on the ground. :P Hmmm...what might help you here. Well for one thing...don't chase...shoot 'em out of the air like a game of duck hunt. Getting close probably won't be much help unless you're using a rather quick Vr.
"Nuh uh uh"
Rav3nlock

Post by Rav3nlock »

My biggest online trouble tends to come in the way of the long-range Angelan players. Any other long-range player I can usually chase down and at least force some mid-range combat, where I prefer to lay down some lasers in my Raiden among other things, but if I don't catch them in a LTCW laser web, they make it much harder for me to follow when also dodging their little dragon pet. The majority of pilots I've been up against have used this tactic to some degree of success on me, I've only taken down a few Angelans with some lucky missiles.

A feature that I'd someday like to see for practicing against opponents in games like this is some 'player DNA' files to download. For example, after a match, a file is saved of a bunch of statistics from the other player's performance, such as the time spent in certain ranges, preferred attacks and frequency, and sort of a general overview of how the VR is used just enough to give a similar enough experience to work on going against similar tactics in a practice mode. While it probably wouldn't recreate everything perfectly, I can't imagine a file like that being very big for practical use, since there's so many interesting tactics with VRs that don't always pack so neatly into a versus guide..!
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

That sounds like a pretty nifty idea. It would be good to have some kind of data feedback that you can look at so you can change your playstyle a bit to adapt.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

I remember hearing that they did that sort of thing with the arcade version of Tekken 5, the machines builded up AI's that tried to match the user of the game card.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

My biggest issue is constantly airborn opponent's, mainly cypher players. I try so hard to chase them down, only for them to jump away when I get close and do it all over again. Also my CC needs work, It's getting better, getting the hang of quick-stepping and jumping melee over attacks, but I still need alot work vs actual human opponents, though. Evenpar wrecked me hard last night, I don't think either of us had fun, since I provided no challenge to him at all.

I versed a cypher player called TAOnkalna, who gave my Bal all these headaches. Tho I get to learn something new each round which is good. He stayed with me until I won a match. Very generous of him. Against Cypher, my strategy relies on running away and playing long range when ever he hits double jump. <Tho Bal is too slow to outdash Cypher's RT CW from long range.>When I get a chance to close in midrange, I have to dodge a lot of daggers while setting up crouch CW. Tho he reads my moves really well. I need to plant ERLS to shoot ring lasers in order to hit him while he is airborne. He punishes really well, I never ate so many daggers and CW in my life... well my first VOOT competition against players i guess. Bal against Cypher is really hard unless Bal can dodge really well while setting up traps. Variations in ring lasers and daggers often cancel each other out. strange....
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I started off pretty bad tonight, but eventually got into a decent groove. I played a crazy good player tonight... his record was like 800-290!! I lost against his Raiden a few times, but did respectably... took a couple rounds least, and didn't get completely wiped out. Later I played him again, but this time he was actually using Bal!!! His Bal honestly wasn't that great, but I still lost. :lol: His avoidance skill was incredible. I also played one match against a Bal player who was insanely good at throwing mines out. I chased him around the arena the best I could but lost both rounds by a slim margin (I died with him at about 5% for both rounds). Overall I was probably even or slightly ahead for the night since I played a lot against better players.
MentholMoose
vitrium

Post by vitrium »

whew, I'm a little late to the forums but I was there 2AM pacific standard time on the 29th to DL this game and activate my xbox live subscription. Money has been extremely tight for me because I just recently graduated college and jobs have been hard to come by as well, but my friend was gracious enough to get me a late b-day present and play some VOOT at his place since I don't have gaming money anymore lol

Anyways, been a hardcore VOOMer and VOOTer who bought twinsticks and the whole nine yards. I found this place looking for people who modified twin sticks. Howdy yalls

Browsing around I already recognize a few names from online play! And hopefully some of you recognize mine?

As far as impressions go:
Graphics: Bright and vivid colors with blue blue skies! I am a supporter of any game that tries not to turn everything dirty brown for the sake of realism! I was hoping for a slight graphics update where the weapon's effects were transparencies like in Force but a straight port isn't too bad

Mechs:
Apharmd C is suprisingly effective with that machete and the shotgun has more knock down power than I expected. Too bad I dont come across too many of these guys. Stein-vok doesn't quite have the punch or keep away power with nothing but beam attacks, but his range for close combat was shockingly wider. 10/80 is defintely a handicap character

Control:
I immediately switched the controls to twin stick mode and set the special button to B before I even attempted playing. It wasn't quite as bad I was expecting but the speed in which I do air dashes is much lower than I like it to be. The only area I had a real problem with is the quick step attacks and the strict timing window. Sometimes I would have an excellent chance for a kill only to be ruined by a split second where I would run away and shoot leaving myself wide open. When I modify my DC twinsticks I hope that will be a thing of the past

Gameplay:
So far, I've been humbled by plenty of Japanese players but i felt I put up good (if not close) fights. Even so its a ton of fun and i've learned that some mechs like grysvok are very capable fighters in the right hands. I should be thankful because i have yet to encounter master balbados players who can flood stages with mines (maybe the xbox controller can be thanked for once)

otherwise, I hope i can contribute a little to the forums and meet you guys online lobby or something
"Stand tall and shake the heavens..."
Gasaraki

Post by Gasaraki »

vitrium wrote:The only area I had a real problem with is the quick step attacks and the strict timing window.
I posted this in another tread, but it's much easier on the pad if you piano the commands as such: RT/LT->direction->attack. Just do them in quick succession almost at the same time and you should be getting it just about every time.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Wooo! This place is heating up. Vr pilots everywhere. I am really hoping SEGA sees what the people want. A new VO in the style of VOOT. It would be epic. Not having a 360 I am unable to participate in this momentous occasion, but im listening and observing. Seems to be pretty positive. The majority of the people here are loving it[which is expected hence the name of the board XD], but i've advocated this on some other boards and gotten some people to try it out. They too enjoy it. If not already done so, i'd advise everyone here to do this survey for SEGA. This is our time to get VO back and breathing again.

http://www.oratan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57

Once again to everyone welcome and thank you for loving VO. It's because of you that it's getting a second chance.
"Nuh uh uh"
Aya Kyunik

Post by Aya Kyunik »

RVR - 42 wrote:Not having a 360 I am unable to participate in this momentous occasion, but im listening and observing.
Oh what!? I thought you had one! :lol:
No wonder you're pretty active on the boards, you don't spend the time on VOOT ^^;

Are you gonna grab a 360? Some of my old arcade/DC VOOT buddies are going to buy a 360 JUST for this lol.
moeidolatry.com
The photogenic idolisation of pixel, plastic and nonsense~
Fei-Yen Fever
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Aya Kyunik wrote:
RVR - 42 wrote:Not having a 360 I am unable to participate in this momentous occasion, but im listening and observing.
No wonder you're pretty active on the boards, you don't spend the time on VOOT ^^;

Are you gonna grab a 360? Some of my old arcade/DC VOOT buddies are going to buy a 360 JUST for this lol.
Hahaha! Yea while everyone else is busy playing...*tear begins*...and experiencing the rebirth[kinda] of VO...*more tears*...im stuck here reading about the awesome battles everyone is having. *busts out in waterfall*. Nah it's cool. But no I don't think I will be getting one. Just got a PS3 for Xmas so, I mean...yea. =/ I've got lots of friends with 360s though. So hey...who knows. :D
"Nuh uh uh"
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

True, ps3 is a mighty investment. Tho, u should save up to grab a 360 or sell the ps3 off (which not many may agree) seeing u do hang around here a lot :p.

The connection is pretty good from where I live in. So far more than half the players are JP and the gameplay is pretty smooth. I should try to look for some US players and see how it goes.
Rav3nlock

Post by Rav3nlock »

RVR - 42 wrote:
Aya Kyunik wrote:

Hahaha! Yea while everyone else is busy playing...*tear begins*...and experiencing the rebirth[kinda] of VO...*more tears*...im stuck here reading about the awesome battles everyone is having. *busts out in waterfall*. Nah it's cool. But no I don't think I will be getting one. Just got a PS3 for Xmas so, I mean...yea. =/ I've got lots of friends with 360s though. So hey...who knows. :D
I know the feeling--I can't play, and I have the game... college finals week is a killer.

Most of my time has been spent doodling on my notes so far, as I sorta want to do some short webcomics or stories about the Virtual On universe, since there's never enough of that.
Frostycyke

Post by Frostycyke »

While I own both a PS3 and an Xbox and play both regularly and abhor anything even resembling a silly console war, I will say that Xbox does have VOOT, and as of right now, that is all that matters to me.

But unfortunately for me, my job/family makes it hard to play VOOT during the week, So I have to make do with weekend marathon sessions.

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
Aya Kyunik

Post by Aya Kyunik »

I guess i'm not the only one who's struggling with work and other obligations right now XD
moeidolatry.com
The photogenic idolisation of pixel, plastic and nonsense~
Fei-Yen Fever
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I didn't get to play tonight at all, since Verizon broke my DSL. So I just reviewed some replays, which is still pretty interesting. I have a few really interesting replays, so I really wish there was an easy way to share them all!
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Frostycyke wrote:While I own both a PS3 and an Xbox and play both regularly and abhor anything even resembling a silly console war, I will say that Xbox does have VOOT, and as of right now, that is all that matters to me.

But unfortunately for me, my job/family makes it hard to play VOOT during the week, So I have to make do with weekend marathon sessions.
Weekend marathon sessiosn indeed. I don't get to game during the week very often so weekends are like Christmas for me. :P And thank you for abhorring console wars...so pointless, are they not? And the bit about the Xbox having VOOT...I agree. That's all that matters indeed. 8-)

And yes MM i'd love to see your replays man.
"Nuh uh uh"