Q-Steps on 360

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Q-Steps on 360

Post by MentholMoose »

Cacophanus wrote:
Zaarock wrote:Doh, sorry. I was messing up dpad with pad, was too late to press the delete button as you were online and replying :)
Gotcha, unfortunately the 360's d-pad is pretty horrid in terms of consistency of input so it creates more problems for most players.

I'm not saying that quick steps are impossible on the pad, just harder than they were originally (with the sticks).
I want to agree, but I'm pretty biased against the control pad. For someone not new to the game and coming from Twin Sticks, I think it would be a difficult adjustment... personally I wouldn't want to try, which is why I modded my Twin Sticks over a month ago. But for someone new to the game, I'm not sure which would be easier. I know when I first started getting into CC (mainly on arcade VOOT, and some practicing on DC VOOT with Twin Sticks), I had a hard time with q-steps and q-step attacks. I imagine that if I was only using the the control pad, my experience would have been similar.

I am thinking that it's possible to get use to the pad to the point that the capability is close to what is possible on Twin Sticks. I've played velocity7 from this forum, and his CC (including q-steps, and q-step attacks) is solid. However, I haven't seen many highly advanced CC techniques from pad users, so I wonder if there is a limit that a pad user will hit.
MentholMoose
Cacophanus

Post by Cacophanus »

MentholMoose wrote:I want to agree, but I'm pretty biased against the control pad. For someone not new to the game and coming from Twin Sticks, I think it would be a difficult adjustment... personally I wouldn't want to try, which is why I modded my Twin Sticks over a month ago. But for someone new to the game, I'm not sure which would be easier. I know when I first started getting into CC (mainly on arcade VOOT, and some practicing on DC VOOT with Twin Sticks), I had a hard time with q-steps and q-step attacks. I imagine that if I was only using the the control pad, my experience would have been similar.

I am thinking that it's possible to get use to the pad to the point that the capability is close to what is possible on Twin Sticks. I've played velocity7 from this forum, and his CC (including q-steps, and q-step attacks) is solid. However, I haven't seen many highly advanced CC techniques from pad users, so I wonder if there is a limit that a pad user will hit.
Well, I tested the newly modded sticks out on a new player and he found it vastly easier to manage close combat (than he had on a pad). The twinsticks were created to solve a specific problem in the original Virtual On's design and they're even more relevant on something like 5.66.

There is definitely an upper limit on speed and consistency of inputs on a pad, as some of my Japanese freinds who had normally trounced me in the arcades are at a distinct disadvantage on the pad.
Aya Kyunik

Post by Aya Kyunik »

MentholMoose wrote:I am thinking that it's possible to get use to the pad to the point that the capability is close to what is possible on Twin Sticks.
I also had that thought with the DC VOOT. I actually had about the same level of capacity to pull of q-steps with controller or sticks. I would prolly go so far as to say I actually performed better CC with the DC pad than the sticks... But this is prolly more to do with me using the pad for a longer period than twin sticks (I only got twin sticks after a friend of mine managed to get his Japanese friend to bring em over to Australia).

360...god I hate the pad for VOOT. The jelly bean buttons hurt my thumb after a while. :|
moeidolatry.com
The photogenic idolisation of pixel, plastic and nonsense~
Fei-Yen Fever
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

One thing I stuff up more than not pulling off quickstep, is when I try to dash, I did quickstep instead when my opponent passes me nearby. Which is annoys me to the pt, I just decide to jump airdash to punish instead.