Articles covering VOOT VER.5.66 for Xbox 360

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Articles covering VOOT VER.5.66 for Xbox 360

Post by MentholMoose »

Thanks for the link, it explains a lot. And I agree about the Saturn controller, I still have several and use them when possible.
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Sixfortyfive wrote: I swear, the fact that the Saturn pad remains to be the standard in digital control over 14 years after it hit the market speaks just as much of the ineptitude of modern hardware manufacturers as it does to the strengths of that particular pad.
Ain't that the truth, and yet another reason I'd like an official SS(& DC) adapter for the 360, to use the Twin-Sticks, and Saturn pads, as well as SS & DC sticks. There must be a market for it.

The weird thing about the 360 d-pad, it can vary between pads. The one the came with my 360 (mid 2006) wasn't that great, but when I bough a second one (for multiplayer stuff), it was a decent amount better. I can use it okay after I got used to it. My point is strangely, not all 360 pads are created equal. Still, NOTHING beats the Saturn controller for d-pad, not by a long shot IMO.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Long Shadow wrote:The weird thing about the 360 d-pad, it can vary between pads. The one the came with my 360 (mid 2006) wasn't that great, but when I bough a second one (for multiplayer stuff), it was a decent amount better. I can use it okay after I got used to it. My point is strangely, not all 360 pads are created equal.
As I learned while researching control pad modding, there are indeed multiple revisions of the Xbox 360 control pads.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Although the FightPad isn't the best thing since sliced bread, I do believe that all the buttons on it are digital, including the L and R triggers, meaning that it could be ideal to use to mod with Twin Sticks. 8-)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:The weird thing about the 360 d-pad, it can vary between pads. The one the came with my 360 (mid 2006) wasn't that great, but when I bough a second one (for multiplayer stuff), it was a decent amount better. I can use it okay after I got used to it. My point is strangely, not all 360 pads are created equal.
As I learned while researching control pad modding, there are indeed multiple revisions of the Xbox 360 control pads.
Yeah, not only in regards to D-pads, but electronics, which is what I imagine is what you are talking about.

The earlier ones had a matrix style setup (ie two wires for each button), then with the newer ones, the wireless is common ground, but the wired one is common signal. :shock: I don't know why they didn't just stick with something that was simple...

Here is a look at the multiple different control pads
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

A new update on the official site.

Not really sure what it's about apart from being happy about the trailer having been viewed 100,000 times (from a site from the looks of it, but not sure.
Something about some questionnaire???

Original;
http://vo-ot360.sega.jp/column.html

Googled;
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... =Shift_JIS

Excited;
http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/englis ... %7C+%96%F3+
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:Although the FightPad isn't the best thing since sliced bread, I do believe that all the buttons on it are digital, including the L and R triggers, meaning that it could be ideal to use to mod with Twin Sticks. 8-)
It looks like it's out of stock everywhere, except on eBay for about $60. I'll use the $10 Madcatz "retro" stick for now. :)
Long Shadow wrote:A new update on the official site.

Not really sure what it's about apart from being happy about the trailer having been viewed 100,000 times (from a site from the looks of it, but not sure.
Something about some questionnaire???
Yeah there's a questionnaire, requesting info on experience with VO, likes (and dislikes) in the series, and what is wanted in the future.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:Although the FightPad isn't the best thing since sliced bread, I do believe that all the buttons on it are digital, including the L and R triggers, meaning that it could be ideal to use to mod with Twin Sticks. 8-)
It looks like it's out of stock everywhere, except on eBay for about $60. I'll use the $10 Madcatz "retro" stick for now. :)
I have 2. 8-)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

*walks into the party late*

Hahah! Oh man...that 360 pad. Yuck! Disgusting! That thing is horrible. And the fightpad...while no Saturn pad, of course...[what is you know? lol] it gets the job done in SFIV and hopefully will in KoFXII and Blazblue. :D As for this digital input...twin sticks thing...no idea. :P
"Nuh uh uh"
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

The official site column updated and added the system, mode pages:

http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/englis ... N&wb_dis=2

Based from looking at the mode page, upload ur own replay in the ranking page i possible. Tho someone confirm if u can only have one online at a time.

My 360 only just arrived at the service centre. The anticipation is too much for me to bare. Darn it!!! Im suppose to be playing VOOT tmrw! :cry:
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

For anyone interested, VOOT was the #1 game on the Xbox LIVE Arcade sales charts for that week.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/05/ ... -27th.aspx
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Cool
so it did better than Banjo Tooie :)
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Long Shadow wrote:For anyone interested, VOOT was the #1 game on the Xbox LIVE Arcade sales charts for that week.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/05/ ... -27th.aspx
That's what I like to hear. :D Thanks! Hope SEGA sees this.
"Nuh uh uh"
Rav3nlock

Post by Rav3nlock »

I hope they both see it and properly interpret it.

It's one thing if they realize why people like this game, and so it's good that they're doing the survey and such--so either they release other stuff like OMG, or they begin building the next Virtual On game that's a proper successor to VOOT with the current console capabilities.

I say this because Sega still has a tendency to pick up on the idea that they have a good series, and then release some ridiculous sub-games that lose any appeal the originals had, or they keep parts of older games that they should have fixed to match up to newer generations of consoles and gamers. Phantasy Star Universe, Sonic whatever, Marz... And I worry instead of saying VOOT is popular and designing off of its good points, they'll say the series as a whole is strong and consider it a greenlight to do more of Marz (like, they'll justify Marz as making console gamers aware of the series or some nonsense). Or, to a less horrible extent, re-tool the concept of Marz to be slightly more interesting or fixing a couple problems; I still like the concept of an actual story mode in the series, but... just not like that.

So I see it like Star Wars, Lucas saw he had a big thing going so he decided to 'make it better' and... yeah. No.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

HEY, I like phantasy star universe....i'm still leathaly addicted to pso, but still...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Rav3nlock

Post by Rav3nlock »

Oh, I liked PSU to some extent too. But it wasn't what the game could have been, even if they chose to hold back and release the game for PS2. It has a lot of repetitive missions and skinned monsters last I played, though, which I found okay for PSO but I was hoping they'd have expanded more than they did. It is one of the games I consider behind the times, as much as I like parts of it. Though to be honest, it was more like I ended up hearing all the hype and then it let me down once I got the game itself.

At the very least, I like the customization options for the characters. I had one I really liked.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Rav3nlock wrote:I hope they both see it and properly interpret it.

It's one thing if they realize why people like this game, and so it's good that they're doing the survey and such--so either they release other stuff like OMG, or they begin building the next Virtual On game that's a proper successor to VOOT with the current console capabilities.

I say this because Sega still has a tendency to pick up on the idea that they have a good series, and then release some ridiculous sub-games that lose any appeal the originals had, or they keep parts of older games that they should have fixed to match up to newer generations of consoles and gamers. Phantasy Star Universe, Sonic whatever, Marz... And I worry instead of saying VOOT is popular and designing off of its good points, they'll say the series as a whole is strong and consider it a greenlight to do more of Marz (like, they'll justify Marz as making console gamers aware of the series or some nonsense). Or, to a less horrible extent, re-tool the concept of Marz to be slightly more interesting or fixing a couple problems; I still like the concept of an actual story mode in the series, but... just not like that.

So I see it like Star Wars, Lucas saw he had a big thing going so he decided to 'make it better' and... yeah. No.
Heck yea man. I know exactly what you're saying. I'm hoping they compare this to the Marz sells/ratings and the Sega Ages 2500 OMG release's sells/ratings too. It's so obvious that it's VOOT that people cherish so much. Not down talking VOOM though, because that game rocks the 32 bit generation like non other. lol
"Nuh uh uh"
Rav3nlock

Post by Rav3nlock »

Indeed. And while it may seem contradictory that I posted a list of things I'd want in my "Dream Virtual On" game, I fully expect Sega to figure out that it's the VOOT gameplay and such that they should work off of for a successful sequel.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Here's a guide (in Japanese) for modding DC Twin Sticks. It is decidedly not reversible :lol: . My goodness, they seriously hacked this thing up!!! The complete destruction combined with the 10-fold increase in difficulty is why you should use a common ground control pad!
http://www.4gamer.net/games/085/G008596/20090501027/
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

New updates on the Official Japanese 360 VOOT site, in the "Column" and "Special" sections.

Column (Googled)
http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... =Shift_JIS

Special (Excited)
http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/englis ... N&wb_dis=2

The Column sections seems to be talking about some of the things they might be considering for a Title Update for the game. And looks like GamerPics and Premium Themes have been announced. I think they come out next week (May 20th)

The Special Section seems to be talking about Quick-Steps, and some other game tips.

Premium Theme

GamerPics - DNA (16 icons)

GamerPics - RNA (16 icons)

Seem to be 250Image each. (AU $4:13/US $3:13/JPN ¥370)

And MentholMoose, that's one crazy Mod. Is all that re-wiring really necessary?