rowing

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
graefocs

rowing

Post by graefocs »

Hello all,
I'm new here. Thanks for the invite MentholMoose!

I was wondering if rowing is still a viable technique in 5.66. I've saw it mentioned in a few places to still be possible for a few VRs, but I have not been able to get it to work. I'm not sure I am doing it right, and am not even sure how it's supposed to look when it works. What do you all think?

Also, doi-2-dashes... saw a few mentions on shoryuken.com among other places, but haven't really found a full description of how to do it and what it is.

Thanks all!
GT: GraeFocs
VR-Eli

Re: rowing

Post by VR-Eli »

I believe it's been mentioned that rowing no longer works in 5.66. At least not the way it's suppose to where your walking speed just goes super fast. Can't remember the exact post though.

In the first Virtual On, it was done by moving the sticks to the side, then taking one of the sticks and moving it up slightly while you're strafing. That would glitch your movement speed to be combined with your turning speed and just magically make you move faster. So as Belgdor, if I was strafing to the right, I'd push both sticks to the right, and then move the right stick up a bit more. (I might be describing it wrong...)
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

In VER.5.45 (and possibly VER.5.66), Angelan has a fast movement trick while descending from a jump, which might be done by some sort of rowing input. However, I don't know how to do it. The replay I have is just of Angelan jumping, then moving very fast sideways.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Some sort of rowing appears to be possible in VER.5.66, at least for some VRs. It's possible to get some crazy fast ground speed with Grys-Vok, as well as fast air movement. I can't do it reliably yet, though. It's hard since even if there is info on this, it would only be in Japanese.
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

anikingVOOT knows how to row, but doesn't feel confident enough in his ability to explainorate to post in this thread. So he taught me the magic and told me to tell y'all.

Maybe it's not rowing. Maybe it's just fastwalking. I wasn't clear on that point.

Anyway, here's how you do it. The VRs we tried were Raiden and Fei-Yen:

(Note: these instructions are using the Control Pad, default setup. A button = crouch)

1) Walk Backwards Diagonal
2) While walking Backwards Diagonal, change direction to straight Back
3) When you see the VRs legs turning from Backdiag to Back, press and hold the A button (crouch). You can let go of the directional input

Voila. Your VR is now walking very quickly.

Like I said, this is assuming you're using the pad. Apparently, it's much easier to do with the pad than with Twin Sticks. Give it a shot and see how it goes!
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

Schooly D - thank you for the post. Looks very good.

at ver,5.2 a lot of characters can do rowing and it was not that difficult.

Specineff and Angelan had a big advantage of mobility.
Bal-Bados also could move faster, but not so effective because of the style of his attacking.

ver,5.4 and ver,5.66 rowing is not easy anymore but you still can do it for some characters.
And also some characters become able to do fastwalking like Schooly D posted.
(but I believe that only Raiden and Fei-Yen got fastwalking, others are not that fast)
(Im not sure about this, but I believe Specineff has fastwalking after sliding RW.)

With twin-stick controll, you can be rowing with angelan and still faster than normal move.
You may find some player on XBLA doing the rowing with angelan. keep looking for.

Anyway, holding the crouching button must be a key for the fastwalking for ver,5.66
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
Kyper

Post by Kyper »

I don't know if this is related or old news, but it looks like you can apply this to the side directions somewhat. Just run left/right and then crouch (A with default, sticks inward with other) and you should notice a slight speed increase compared to running.

I tried this with Temjin against an Angelan's ice dragon projectiles and I could avoid it, but then I don't know if it's already avoidable with standard running, doh
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Any ideas on how to do Angelan's fast movement? Also, it's easy enough to use crouch to lock in the fast movement with Specineff after a backward-diagonal crouch RW or LW, but how do you get Specineff moving super fast during this (so fast that Specineff "flickers")?

With Grys-Vok, you can get a speed boost during two types of movement: 1) jumping and 2) post canceled-dash sliding. For jumping, the fastest way to do it seems to be like this (using Twin Sticks):
1) On the ground, input and hold forward-left (or forward-right, if doing a rightward jump) with both sticks.
2) Input jump, plus the input for an attack if desired.
3) Immediately move both sticks to left.
4) Immediately input both sticks to forward-left, then back to left, and continue alternating between left and forward-left (i.e. "rowing") until necessary.

With a regular (non-attack) jump, you can get the high-speed flickering effect.

It seems to work similarly with the post canceled-dash sliding. It is pretty easy to get a quick speed boost, but I cannot get the high-speed flickering effect reliably. Finally, I haven't experimented with trying to use crouch to lock in

Do it like this:
1) Input and hold forward-left (or forward-right) with both sticks.
2) Press a turbo button. After some period of time, press turbo again to cancel the dash. The timing is important for getting the fastest movement, but I don't have it down.
3) Immediately move both sticks from forward-left to left.
4) Immediately input both sticks back to forward-left, then back to left, and continue alternating between left and forward-left (i.e. "rowing"). You can do this for a short time.

It seems like you can chain two of these dashes together to get the maximum speed boost. Try doing a longer dash, row for a moment, then do another super short dash, and row again. With the right timing you can get the flickering effect like this.
MentholMoose