Title update, Hori Twin Stick Update and XBLA tourney

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
SaiST

Re: Title update, Hori Twin Stick Update and XBLA tourney

Post by SaiST »

Feels good being able to use the d-pad again. No more Watari screw-ups. :D

The new lighting and shadows really make a the VRs stand out a bit more. Temjin's Beam Rifle, Fei's Hyper Mode--they both have a much nicer, softer glow to them than they did before.

To anyone who's managed to play the Model 3 version of VOOT, can you tell us if Sega's simply made the lighting and shadows a bit more similar to what they were like before the game was moved to the Naomi/Dreamcast hardware? Or if this is something completely new, and better?
MurderDeathKill

Post by MurderDeathKill »

SaiST wrote:To anyone who's managed to play the Model 3 version of VOOT, can you tell us if Sega's simply made the lighting and shadows a bit more similar to what they were like before the game was moved to the Naomi/Dreamcast hardware? Or if this is something completely new, and better?
Just took a look at the new graphics mode, it's definitely something new and improved. It's using bloom lighting for the glow effects.

EDIT:Adding some of my thoughts regarding the title update:

-Can't change Fei-Yen's gold accents in Hyper Mode = boo! >:P
-Turning while walking. = yay! >:D
-Searching for opponents is now extremely fast. It no longer sorts by connection speed, either. This perhaps makes me happiest of all.
-The updated graphics mode features (somewhat) soft shadows to go with the aformentioned bloom lighting effects. Color palette isn't turned into a near-universal shade of brown, though, thank God. Bloom lighting is limited to certain special effects (mostly beam weaponry and light sources on VR models).
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

MurderDeathKill wrote:
SaiST wrote:To anyone who's managed to play the Model 3 version of VOOT, can you tell us if Sega's simply made the lighting and shadows a bit more similar to what they were like before the game was moved to the Naomi/Dreamcast hardware? Or if this is something completely new, and better?
Just took a look at the new graphics mode, it's definitely something new and improved. It's using bloom lighting for the glow effects.

EDIT:Adding some of my thoughts regarding the title update:

-Can't change Fei-Yen's gold accents in Hyper Mode = boo! >:P
-Turning while walking. = yay! >:D
-Searching for opponents is now extremely fast. It no longer sorts by connection speed, either. This perhaps makes me happiest of all.
-The updated graphics mode features (somewhat) soft shadows to go with the aformentioned bloom lighting effects. Color palette isn't turned into a near-universal shade of brown, though, thank God. Bloom lighting is limited to certain special effects (mostly beam weaponry and light sources on VR models).
I'll probably be sticking with the original graphics. The graphics update is too much of an after-though, whereas the original graphics are at least cohesive (if dated). For example, the lighting improvement on the VRs and weapons is a jarring contrast to the environment with no apparent improvements (except a few minor bloom/glow effects).

The VR shadows look similar to what I remember from the model 3 version. I don't know about the VR/projectile lighting, though. The Xbox 360 version is still missing all of the transparencies that were removed during the transition from model 3 to DC/Naomi.

I think Fei-Yen KN hyper mode is way too bright with the updated graphics. Another thing is the VR shadows on Blank Frank. I guess they are "correct" now, and clearly show that your VR is not actually touching the floor, but I don't like it.
MentholMoose
MurderDeathKill

Post by MurderDeathKill »

Yeah, it's kinda weird they just stuck bloom in for no reason and no transparency (which actually requires less processing power than bloom). It's not like the 360 hardware can't handle it.

However, faster searching = much less waiting between matches = much more time playing = I've fallen in love with the game all over again. >:D
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neoKEN »

I want to do a FAQ for the XBL voot patch changes.

1. The person being challenge is the host. So if someone is unable to play another, challenge the person that both can play against. You can observe matches with players you can't play against.

2. The Cypher's SLC is different with the new control method. If you do the old foward + turn, it will turn too wide.

3. Observer mode can start right away if all the open observer slots are filled.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
max99

Post by max99 »

not had the chance to try observer mode yet as not enough VOOT friends were online last night. however one thing i did notice was i'm finding it harder to find matches in player and ranked lobbies now. before searching would take longer but i'd be guaranteed a choice of matches. after the update the search only takes a second but more often than not no results are returned :(
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

neoKEN wrote:3. Observer mode can start right away if all the open observer slots are filled.
Good info, thanks! I bet that's why anikingVOOT had his observer limit set to 3 tonight.
max99 wrote:before searching would take longer but i'd be guaranteed a choice of matches. after the update the search only takes a second but more often than not no results are returned :(
Oh no, I hope that's not the case! I didn't get many ranked matches in tonight, so I can't confirm one way or the other.
MentholMoose
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

MentholMoose wrote:
neoKEN wrote:3. Observer mode can start right away if all the open observer slots are filled.
Good info, thanks! I bet that's why anikingVOOT had his observer limit set to 3 tonight.
Yeah, it was tough to decide how many I should set for it. I still dont know 3 was good for 7-8 people.
You know, some people want to play more than watch.. and some people want to watch other guys' game more.
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

max99 wrote:before searching would take longer but i'd be guaranteed a choice of matches. after the update the search only takes a second but more often than not no results are returned :(
This is pure speculation, but maybe there are not a lot of results because the new version is possibly not compatible with the old, and not everyone has updated yet.
anikingVOOT wrote:Yeah, it was tough to decide how many I should set for it. I still dont know 3 was good for 7-8 people.
You know, some people want to play more than watch.. and some people want to watch other guys' game more.
It's not a big problem to set a high number, since at most you will wait 20 seconds. I know I will sometimes prefer to watch (like tonight), and sometimes I will prefer to play.
MentholMoose
feixaq

Post by feixaq »

MentholMoose wrote:This is pure speculation, but maybe there are not a lot of results because the new version is possibly not compatible with the old, and not everyone has updated yet.
I don't think that's the reason; XBL is pretty good about the enforcement of patches. After July 1, the only way for people to play online is if they patch the game, otherwise they automatically sign out of XBL.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

feixaq wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:This is pure speculation, but maybe there are not a lot of results because the new version is possibly not compatible with the old, and not everyone has updated yet.
I don't think that's the reason; XBL is pretty good about the enforcement of patches. After July 1, the only way for people to play online is if they patch the game, otherwise they automatically sign out of XBL.
I see, thanks for clearing that up.
MentholMoose
MASTER

Post by MASTER »

This update is definitely nice compared to what other arcade games get thats for sure. Glad to hear a little news on the twin sticks =) and of course the updated graphics, online play and new options definitely keep the game alive! =) glad to hear japan is still taking this game over 9000 strong!! lol. BTW has everyone else seen this pic? http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/ima ... 88-000.jpg

MASTER
The game of LIFE is hard! . . BEAT IT!
FIND ME @
DFWGames.com DOAcentral.com Youtube.com/DOAUMASTER
Twitter.com/oMASTERo Myspace.com/_DOAMASTER_
Xbox GT: o M A S T E R o and/or CGS MASTER
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

MASTER wrote: BTW has everyone else seen this pic? http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/ima ... 88-000.jpg
Thats the one HORI announced to sell as a twin stick for XBOX360
The NEWS we just got is, they are going to change the shape of the stick shown on the picture and they change the base also.
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.