Japanese XBLA VOOT tournament to be broadcast on ustream

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
wraith88

Japanese XBLA VOOT tournament to be broadcast on ustream

Post by wraith88 »

For those interested in checking out this tournament - looks like they're foregoing peercast and instead will be going with ustream to broadcast the tournament. The tournament blog states start time is July 4, 21:00 (Japan time) which means early afternoon in Europe and really darn early in the morning for the Americas. The tournament lasts for two hours (?)

観戦モードが追加されましたら準決勝以上はustreamで中継する予定です。
※ustreamはアドレスを入力するだけでブラウザで配信が楽しめるwebサービスです。
当日配信元アドレスを当ブログ上で公開致しますので更新をお待ち下さい。
excite.co.jp translation:
If the watching mode is added, it is scheduled to relay it with ustream more than the semifinal.
- Ustream is web service in which it can enjoy delivering by a browser only in the place where the address is input.
A delivery former address will be opened to the public on this blog on that day and wait for the update, please.
Here's a link to that blog:
http://voot360.blog46.fc2.com/
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Japanese XBLA VOOT tournament to be broadcast on ustream

Post by Sixfortyfive »

So is this some kind of official-ish tournament or just something that the Japanese fans are throwing together?
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

That's a really good question and one I unfortunately don't have an answer to. Somebody who speaks and reads Japanese like anikingVOOT could probably determine this.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

On the official blog post, it says the tournament is "user sponsored", so it's unofficial. The brackets are up, and there are A LOT of participants! It is starting now!!! The tournament moderator who is currently streaming the video is Sera Chan.
MentholMoose
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

Well about 120 participants and 2 1/2 hours later, WildEsoteric's Fei-Yen beat shiningstone's Apharmd Striker to win the tournament. There was also a pretty even and exciting Fei-Yen vs Fen-Yen semi-final match between WildEsoteric and mito310. The replays are on the Leaderboards as of this writing.

Of interesting note - the blogger apologized that they couldn't enter a foreign pilot into the tournament due to the Japanese language barrier. The blogger expressed a desire to find tourney staff who were fluent in English in the future :)

The next meet is on Sunday, August 2nd. Who knows - maybe down the road pilots outside of Japan may be able to participate...
CRAZYDAZED

Post by CRAZYDAZED »

It would be nice of them to also include their XBL names so I can find their replays on the leaderboard. So I can marvel at their play!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

wraith88 wrote:Of interesting note - the blogger apologized that they couldn't enter a foreign pilot into the tournament due to the Japanese language barrier.
That would be me. Maybe next time I will have a chance to get destroyed!

Although during the hours before the tournament, the participants were furiously practicing online, so I did get a chance to get destroyed by some of them!
MentholMoose
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

MentholMoose wrote:
wraith88 wrote:Of interesting note - the blogger apologized that they couldn't enter a foreign pilot into the tournament due to the Japanese language barrier.
That would be me. Maybe next time I will have a chance to get destroyed!
Ah so you were the mysterious "California" pilot the blogger was talking about - should have known :lol:
Well let's hope things open up for us "gaijin" pilots in the future

@CRAZYDAZED - ask and you shall receive:

Finally had some time to look over the recording I made of the ustream broadcast...
The loser of each match had the responsibility of posting on the Leaderboards

To find the matches:
In the Leaderboards, obviously search under the date 2007/7/4
The gamertag listed first in each match is the one who posted the replay
*note - not all matches were found on the Leaderboards, but check the ones that were there as of this writing (sooner rather than later because I don't know how long they're going to stay up there)

Sweet 16:
1. Adelie Core (Raiden) vs suma124u (Raiden) - Unholy Cathedral
2. BA2009112 (Cypher) vs TypeNora (Bal-Bados)- Airport
3. FeitaS (Specineff) vs ESPOIR RAIDEN (Raiden of course) - Ascent Corridor
*trivia: ESPOIR RAIDEN was the guest expert player on the Xbox Live Park event on NicoVideo back in June
4. S Zetto (Apharmd B) vs Shiningstone (Apharmd S) - Water Front
5. *Unable to find: motoruspe13 (Temjin) vs mito310 (Fei-Yen) - Space Dock
6. imoriA (Temjin) vs naoelldorado (Bal-Bados) - Ascent Corridor
7. kudryavkaXX (Temjin) vs WildEsoteric (Fei-Yen) - Water Front
8. Nick Oakley (Ajim) vs GTeaS (Fei-Yen) - Undersea Plant

Quarterfinals:
1. suma124u (Raiden) vs TypeNora (Bal-Bados) - Storage Depot
2. ESPOIR RAIDEN (Raiden) vs Shiningstone (Apharmd S) - Unholy Cathedral
3. naoelldorado (Bal-Bados) vs mito310 (Fei-Yen) - Space Dock
4. *Unable to find: GTeaS (Fei-Yen) vs WildEsoteric (Fei-Yen) - Abandoned Quarry

Semi-finals:
1. TypeNora (Bal-Baros) vs Shiningstone (Apharmd S) - Undersea Plant
2. mito310 (Fei-Yen) vs WildEsoteric (Fei-Yen) - Ascent Corridor

Final Round
Shiningstone (Apharmd S) vs WildEsoteric (Fei-Yen) - Undersea Plant
Winner: WildEsoteric

Hopefully somebody will be interested in taking over the match tracking on the August 2nd tournament as I'll be flying back to Canada during that time.

And a Happy 4th of July to all you American pilots on the board!
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neoKEN »

Happy 4th of July!

That's some crazy stuff. Handling an online tournament with 120 players in 2 and 1/2 hours.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

For guys who have an account for NICO NICO DOUGA

there are some videos from that tournament, you might wanna check them out.

(1/4)http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7538322
(2/4)http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7538791
(3/4)http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7539088
(4/4)http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7539302

And alos, there were pre-tournament at june/27 testing for tournament and also there are some videos

(1/4)http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7497765
(2/4)http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7498768
(3/4)http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7498877
(4/4)http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7499199

The tournament was acctually very high leveled. so you may learn something from them.

Note: Do not ask me how to make an account for NICO NICO DOUGA or anything related about the web site.
You may google it about NICO NICO DOUGA and find the way to watch. There are so many non-Japanese speakers who could enjoy NICO NICO DOUGA already.
So why you cannot?
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Thanks anikingVOOT! Also we have a thread from a new member on the videos section:
Xbox360 Online Tounament on 7/4

Also for the Google-challenged out there who need to register for Nico Nico, you can use this link:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+register+nico+nico
Last edited by MentholMoose on 04 Jul 2009, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

There's a thread at GAF on how to sign up for Nico Nico:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206874

It's kind of old, so I don't know if most of the layout is still the same or not.

Also, I recognize some of the names from the top 16. I know I've played against Adelie Core before.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

According to another forum, a foreigner (a Chinese player) did manage to get into the tournament. He said he only needed to know enough Japanese to hear the announcement about who was gonna fight who.
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

This is so cool...the whole global VOOT scene has been given a second chance at life! :D
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

shamanic_beat wrote:According to another forum, a foreigner (a Chinese player) did manage to get into the tournament. He said he only needed to know enough Japanese to hear the announcement about who was gonna fight who.
Well, the organizer said I could enter if I spoke Japanese. I didn't want to risk causing any problems, though.
MentholMoose
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

MentholMoose wrote:
shamanic_beat wrote:According to another forum, a foreigner (a Chinese player) did manage to get into the tournament. He said he only needed to know enough Japanese to hear the announcement about who was gonna fight who.
Well, the organizer said I could enter if I spoke Japanese. I didn't want to risk causing any problems, though.
Actually, Shiningstone is my frined from high school and Im talking to him about If English Speakers can enter next tournament.
We still have things to adjust, but we maybe can figure it out. Later, I will let you know hows it going.

Edit: I want to know how many guys from this forum want to join the next tournament at August 2nd?
Please post here if you want to. It will help to talk to guys in Japan.
VOOT for life.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

anikingVOOT wrote:Edit: I want to know how many guys from this forum want to join the next tournament at August 2nd?
Please post here if you want to. It will help to talk to guys in Japan.
I might join, although I have two concerns. First, the schedule is a problem. 9PM in Japan is 5AM for me, which is not convenient. I can work it out, though... i.e. just wake up early to play one or two matches before going back to sleep.

Second, is there a consensus about what amount of lag is acceptable? I know players generally don't like to play "lagged matches", but people have different standards. I draw the line at one bar, which is totally fine for me, but any less is too difficult to play. However, some of the players I've met don't like playing one, or even two bars! One of the tournament quarter-finalists said he didn't like playing with me too much because of "heavy lag", even though the connection is consistently between one and two bars.
MentholMoose
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

MentholMoose wrote: First, the schedule is a problem. 9PM in Japan is 5AM for me, which is not convenient. I can work it out, though... i.e. just wake up early to play one or two matches before going back to sleep.
I have to wake up early for that too. We can not ask them to change the time, so if you REALLY want to join, you have to be awake at that time.
MentholMoose wrote: Second, is there a consensus about what amount of lag is acceptable? I know players generally don't like to play "lagged matches", but people have different standards. I draw the line at one bar, which is totally fine for me, but any less is too difficult to play. However, some of the players I've met don't like playing one, or even two bars! One of the tournament quarter-finalists said he didn't like playing with me too much because of "heavy lag", even though the connection is consistently between one and two bars.
I already told them and we need to set some definitions for when luggy matches happened. But still if there are one or two players from US, they re-arrange the matches to look for better connection. If we got tons of players from US... I dont know. So thats why I NEED to know how many of you guys are interested.
VOOT for life.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

anikingVOOT wrote:I already told them and we need to set some definitions for when luggy matches happened. But still if there are one or two players from US, they re-arrange the matches to look for better connection. If we got tons of players from US... I dont know. So thats why I NEED to know how many of you guys are interested.
Well, count me as a participant if a good solution can be found for the lag issue.
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Yes, count me in as well.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn