Post your questions here

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Post your questions here

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I basically do jumping half-canceled CW for the entire time that the eye is revealed, save for a few seconds of strafing RW while dodging the huge laser. When the eye is closed, it's HCjCW mixed in with some dashing RW in order to keep myself from being clobbered.

I got him under 5% once, so I probably just need to figure out the exact timing for when Tangram starts and stops to receive boosted damage. There just isn't any room for error.
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

Sixfortyfive wrote:How are you supposed to beat Tangram with Prototype Raiden?
The lack of turbo attacks makes it a little difficult.
Yeah, I just tried and it was tough. But I could make it so at least it is not impossible.
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Ive been trying to pickup Cypher but failed miserably. It feels just like I have to relearn the entire game just to know what I should be doing. Feels so awkward to fly with high speed jet engines. And I still dont know how Cypher players make safe landing such a breeze. :S
Any noob tips?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

You should upload a replay so others can critique your play. Not me since I'm at my parents' with no Xbox, but I'm sure aniking or Zaarock would be up to the task.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Thx anyway... its good to have another mech as a backup to fight in some harder matchups (grysvoks and really good angelans.) but its only ideal if its atleast on par with my main. So much work... XD
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Yeah, uploading a replay could make us give you tips pretty easily. Also, I have trouble with Cypher vs good Grys-voks and Angelans so I cant really help you with that, heh. I only use Cypher so I dont have any comments on his usefulness as a backup VR, but if you dont like playing with him why would you.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
campsuff

Post by campsuff »

Hey, I have a question on dash vectoring.

"Step 3: Dash to the correct dashing path
Now, what's the correct dashing path? The answer lies with
your opponent and what direction their taking during a Dash
Attack. While it’s optimal to keep a target in line of sigh,
here's what direction a player should dash after an opponent
fires his Dash Attack:
Opponent Forward Dash Attack = You Side Dash
Opponent Side Dash Attack = You Forward Dash
Opponent Back Dash Attack = Stupid Opponent"

How would diagonal dash attacks, and flying attacks figure into this model?

Also, Can temjin do a standard melee attack, and then hit them again once the other VR is on the ground. I usually end up hitting someone with a q-step circling attack (no clue what it is called) and then when they opposing vr is on the ground, I end up backing away because I cannot seem to do the crouch melee attack. Does temjin even have this kind of 2 hit combo attack?

Finally, and maybe redirect me if I'm being redudant, but what is a good stragedy for Specineff?
thanks,
khl

Post by khl »

campsuff wrote: Also, Can temjin do a standard melee attack, and then hit them again once the other VR is on the ground. I usually end up hitting someone with a q-step circling attack (no clue what it is called) and then when they opposing vr is on the ground, I end up backing away because I cannot seem to do the crouch melee attack. Does temjin even have this kind of 2 hit combo attack?

Finally, and maybe redirect me if I'm being redudant, but what is a good stragedy for Specineff?
thanks,
When your opponent is down and you're close enough that your RW gauge turns green, you can use RW (while standing) to have Temjin hit him on the ground. You need to be quick with it, though, because it leaves you vulnerable if he gets up during your attack animation
GT: lnbot
Alaric14

Post by Alaric14 »

Is there a specific thread for each droid's attacks and techniques? One for Temjin, one for Cypher, one for Specineff, etc, like the one that was done for Ajim (really helpful, thanks! :D )? Only with the amount of useful stuff crammed into one or two sections of the Forum it seems like that would be a good idea. I've been scanning this, the Basic Techniques, and Advanced Techniques sections for weeks now and...I...just...can't...handle...so much...information...

...HELP!!
Alaric14

Post by Alaric14 »

Davo87 wrote:Ive been trying to pickup Cypher but failed miserably. It feels just like I have to relearn the entire game just to know what I should be doing. Feels so awkward to fly with high speed jet engines. And I still dont know how Cypher players make safe landing such a breeze. :S
Any noob tips?
Contrary to popular belief, I've found Cypher's most at home in the air. He can't keep up on the ground with the likes of Fei-Yen, Temjin, or Apharmed. Get used to flowing his jumps, freeze point attacks, and the dashes together. Get used to landing behind obstacles. Every Cypher pilot I've played has their own style, so you'll find yours. Use his two-attack air combo to berate enemies with endless streams of projectiles.

Cypher's not built for going on an all-out offensive, but rather a deceitful style of play. Trick the enemy into committing an attack, then make them pay for it. Slow and easy for heavier opponents, fast and hard for the lighter ones.

In short: Practice!
friction

Post by friction »

Cypher has low armor and high mobility. So your first rule is to not get hit. That must be your priority.

Don't commit to an attack unless it's safe to do so. in your air dashes, never automatically attack, always know what the opponent is doing and where you'll land in relation to them first. you have the option for a 2nd aerial dash attack, but you should be judicious with that one too.

First, get good and confident at evading everything. Then begin to mix in air dash attacks only when you see them commit. This defensive style will give you a passable but boring Cypher.

To get to the next level, keep your defense but become aggressive, staying at mid range and closer and using pressuring no-commitment attacks, like walking RW, LW, and half-cancelled LTCW. Then add in unpredictability -- air dashing over their head to keep things confusing, RTRW, rare use of SLC and RTCW, CC, et cetera.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

friction wrote:rare use of RTCW
NOW you tell me. :oops:
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

friction wrote:To get to the next level, keep your defense but become aggressive, staying at mid range and closer and using pressuring no-commitment attacks, like walking RW, LW, and half-cancelled LTCW.
You mean half-cancelled cCW or is LTCW's animation shorter or something?
Alaric14

Post by Alaric14 »

Yeah, the animation can be cut in half by walking in the middle of cCW, LW, or LTCW, but keep in mind fewer daggers will be released with LW depending on your timing. Good for confusing opponents.
friction

Post by friction »

Zaarock wrote:
friction wrote:To get to the next level, keep your defense but become aggressive, staying at mid range and closer and using pressuring no-commitment attacks, like walking RW, LW, and half-cancelled LTCW.
You mean half-cancelled cCW or is LTCW's animation shorter or something?
LTCW shoots the "4-way missiles", 4 projectiles with the long white tails... right? by releasing one trigger immediately after firing, you can fire 2 instead of 4, saving ammo. i think the damage is the same (anyone confirm this?). this is useful since when you are doing this type of standing attack, you are generally trying to spam as much stuff as possible-- mixing up this attack, RW, and walking/crouching LW. all of these attacks can be cancelled out of near-instantly, so they are very safe. and if you suddenly need to do an air-dash CW to punish an attack, you still have the ammo for it since you half-cancelled your LTCW.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

I was questioning why to prefer LTCW over cCW as cCW does more damage and they are both four homing laser attacks.
Alaric14

Post by Alaric14 »

Yep, the cCW is much more powerful, but in some cases the LTCW is preferable for it's slightly higher arc which enables it to get over larger obstacles (like Death Trap's centrepiece platform, or the ship in Space Dock). Both variants can be stripped down to one side (release either left or right trigger quickly after attack is initiated) and both can also be 'walked' for quick evasion.
friction

Post by friction »

Zaarock wrote:I was questioning why to prefer LTCW over cCW as cCW does more damage and they are both four homing laser attacks.
my bad, didn't realize there was a damage difference and i recall it feeling like like it took longer to get out of cCW so i always used LTCW. sounds like cCW is better actually.

you were asking a more advanced question than i realized, so sorry to lecture you on stuff you probably know better than me ;) i haven't played this game in 4-5 years, so this is all from my faulty memory...
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Alaric14 wrote:Is there a specific thread for each droid's attacks and techniques? One for Temjin, one for Cypher, one for Specineff, etc, like the one that was done for Ajim (really helpful, thanks! :D )? Only with the amount of useful stuff crammed into one or two sections of the Forum it seems like that would be a good idea. I've been scanning this, the Basic Techniques, and Advanced Techniques sections for weeks now and...I...just...can't...handle...so much...information...

...HELP!!
I've thought about doing a thread for Fei-Yen like I did for Ajim, but I honestly think I know less about Fei-Yen even though I use her more and win with her more.

I do agree that it would be best to try and go in-depth on various topics in individual threads instead of continuing to lump everything together like this.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

Sixfortyfive wrote:
Alaric14 wrote:Is there a specific thread for each droid's attacks and techniques? One for Temjin, one for Cypher, one for Specineff, etc, like the one that was done for Ajim (really helpful, thanks! :D )? Only with the amount of useful stuff crammed into one or two sections of the Forum it seems like that would be a good idea. I've been scanning this, the Basic Techniques, and Advanced Techniques sections for weeks now and...I...just...can't...handle...so much...information...

...HELP!!
I've thought about doing a thread for Fei-Yen like I did for Ajim, but I honestly think I know less about Fei-Yen even though I use her more and win with her more.

I do agree that it would be best to try and go in-depth on various topics in individual threads instead of continuing to lump everything together like this.
That sounds likw a good idea. Dibs on Dorodray!