Good Games/ Bad Games Thread

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Good Games/ Bad Games Thread

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Zaarock wrote:Still having a hard time playing aggressively against specineff with cypher, shooting through walls and throwing balls blargh.
Sometimes when I'm playing against you I think to myself, "God, this must be annoying..." :P Especially when I'm just standing behind a wall waiting for my gauges to recharge.
PhantomPhotonX wrote:DaveRudolph (much improved since last time!)
Eh, I don't think so. I was like 1-10 against you, which is pretty much in line with my historical record. I lost every match against Graham Aker I think. IIRC I won against The Cosmos Owl more often then not, but he said he's rusty on the ladder shoutbox. But yeah, those were some fun matches last night, even if I didn't have a Watermelon Bubblicious Temjin to join in on the fun.

Also, thanks for kicking my ass the other week with Specineff. Good to know your third (or fourth, or fifth, or whateverth) VR is better than my first!
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

DeepInTheHops wrote:Eh, I don't think so. I was like 1-10 against you, which is pretty much in line with my historical record.
Nah, even if it didn't translate into wins per se, I noticed you were playing with a more patient style, which was noticeably harder to beat, especially against an all-out offensive player like myself. Keep up the good work.
DeepInTheHops wrote:Good to know your third (or fourth, or fifth, or whateverth) VR is better than my first!
Yep, he is my third. But even though I did win early on, you came back very nicely when you learned how I use him. We'll have to do it again soon.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Wow, I just ran into the rudest player on Ranked. Funny thing is he kept insulting me thinking that I was a Japanese player XD
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

That's funny. You'd think the Canada flag on your avatar would be a pretty big giveaway that you're not Japanese. :lol:
- Confucius
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Sorry to DeltastrikeX and Zaarock. My internet went down like five minutes after joining the party. :evil:
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

PhantomPhotonX wrote:That's funny. You'd think the Canada flag on your avatar would be a pretty big giveaway that you're not Japanese. :lol:
Kind of off-topic, but I don't think it's fair that there are gamer emblems for other countries like Canada and Japan, but there are none for the US. I have to use a lame COD3 emblem that has the flag in the background.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neoKEN »

Alaric14 wrote:Zaarock likes the ground too much, which ain't the best place to be when your Cypher's against a Stein-Vok. I think he's working on some killer moves, though, so who knows? Hell may soon be unleashed upon you...
I prefer being in the air with cypher. Those top cypher players on the leaderboard also like being in the air as well. The mobility and evasiveness in the air is too good not to take advantage of.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Heh, I used to pretty much only play in the air and kept going at it stubbornly regardless of the various things bad about that idea. I think the turning point was when I got really pissed off at being picked off by Temjin's FWD dash RW while landing constantly and when Schooly D(with AphS) and MentholMoose kept shooting sorts of anti-air missiles at me while I was landing, causing me to do horribly.

An air dash is a dash, so you commit yourself to the landing and dash freeze, you cant really use it as a base action because if your opponent can hit you while you're landing he can just keep repeating the same thing if you keep air dashing at predictable intervals (like always, in this case). Also weapons/damage cost more charge if you keep air dashing, cant shoot that many projectiles making it harder to maintain pressure.

Now I use air dashing mainly for countering when I know its very probable to work(as I get better as a player the amount of this will probably increase), if I need to throw a lot of daggers (3 LWs in a row trick) and I still air dash a lot when I'm panicking. Obviously air dashing & cancelling is useful in complex dodging situations and the speed boost of FWD air dash CW can be used to make dodging some complex attacks easier(for example vs bal-bados), so I use it for that sometimes.

After learning a lot about CC, liking it a lot and learning how to use the RW effectively I find playing aggressively mostly on the ground with cypher a lot of fun. Constant air dashing doesnt really allow for such an aggressive posture. I find block CCing especially fun to learn to do well as Cyphers sword is so long. Havent used dash cc much recently, I should try relearning that again.

Actually on the topic of this thread: Played like 5 hours straight with Teuska again, ended in some crazy matches.. uploaded one of them. Had to start playing a bit differently in CC as he learned to counter me pretty well.. learning to evade cc situations again took me a while.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Exorcet

Post by Exorcet »

Zaarock wrote:being picked off by Temjin's FWD dash RW while landing
Much truth.

It's tempting to play Cypher as if it were a jet, but it leaves you vulnerable. I'm starting to adapt to ground dashing more, and paying a lot of attention to where I end up upon landing.

Even then, Dordray's and Specineff's seem to kill me when played right. Including a certain Specineff who posted a few posts up lol.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

GG SchoolyD, exorcet, Zaarock and Teuska. Guess i found my runnerup VR that i could use which is feiyen and Bal.
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

GG's once again to Schooly D, who was playing like a man possessed with his B/S. Apharmd B and S that is. Those were some of the most intense matches I've played with you, and it was great to shake off the stress of the past week (and a bit of rust) with some fightin' robots. It's always a pleasure, sir.

On another note, I'd like to thank everyone for your support in helping my family deal with our recent tragedy. My mom and I believe we saw God working in tremendous ways this past week, and it might not have been possible without your support and prayers. I know Virtual-On is just a game, but I think what makes it truly special is the people who play it.

So it turns out that my "indefinite" absence from the game only lasted a week. Guess I'll be seeing everyone sooner than I thought. Oh well, what else can I do when there's 21 inches of snow on the ground?
- Confucius
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

GGs with Daverudolph and Teuska in the past few weeks again.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
CRAZYDAZED

Post by CRAZYDAZED »

Good games SolarSonic and PhantomPhotonX!

PPX, I learned a lot from your Specineff!
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Good games PhantomPhotonX, SchoolyD and Kongbox720.

Its been a while and Im still very rusty with my form, but Ill get back into it.

Against Temjin's airdash Big two, does anyone have any idea how to properly avoid it the moment he instant airdash above you? This thing reminds me of Grys-voks airforward dash RW. When I fought other good Temjins online they dont spam it and I thought its bcos its unsafe. But in reality its quite spammable once Temjin enters a distance he can cross over you.

What I think happened was he positioned himself so when the second shot comes out, the gun is at a point above you that is just close enough to make a point blank shot without the possibility of an overshoot. Since the re-tracking ability of the second shot is so effective, it makes little sense not to abuse it unless ur opponent can punish you for it.

2 scenarios for dodging Air Big Two, after the first shot miss: (This is happening a lot in my matches against Phantom, as he is relying on the second shot of Big Two to catch me in freeze time.

-If the second shot is done while Temjin is directly on top of you, stay where you are and dash punish.

-If the second shot is done at slight angled-distance away from you, this is the tricky part.
--Will I jump and risk jumping into the shot? (Feels incredibly risky, but it works if you have time to dodge.)
--Or should I just pick a direction to dash? (Which fails a lot when Temjin hits a sweet spot anyway)

Answer is, it really depends how well the Temjin player times the second shot. If you dont have a bomb shield, its gonna be like hell.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neoKEN »

Davo87 wrote: Against Temjin's airdash Big two, does anyone have any idea how to properly avoid it the moment he instant airdash above you? This thing reminds me of Grys-voks airforward dash RW. When I fought other good Temjins online they dont spam it and I thought its bcos its unsafe. But in reality its quite spammable once Temjin enters a distance he can cross over you.
At higher level, their execution of CC is better. CC do quite a lot of damage so the risk/reward is generally not worth it especially against aphB! Any air attack, they can guess where the opponent land is given an opportunity to punish with a dash CC. Aniking does QS dash CC instantly. Most of us are not at that level yet, but it can be fixed with practice.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

Do my eyes deceive me? Is that really NeoKEN who made that last post? I was beginning to think you had either quit the game, or worse...

How have you been? Why don't we see you on VOOT anymore?
- Confucius
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Your eyes are not deceiving you. Those flowchart posts went missing for some reason.
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

Yeah, Schooly removed it because he thought he had offended me, which he didn't, and I gave him my permission to put it back up. It's up to him on whether he does or not. That just goes to show you that Schooly is really a nice guy when he's not destroying people in VOOT.
- Confucius
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Wait, NeoKen and my posts are missing as well, and I'm pretty sure I didn't delete mine.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

shamanic_beat wrote:Wait, NeoKen and my posts are missing as well, and I'm pretty sure I didn't delete mine.
I guess Schooly D deleted them. He's the only moderator besides me, and I didn't remove anything.
MentholMoose