VOOT for 800 MS Points! EMERGENCY BRAINSTORMING SESSION

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

VOOT for 800 MS Points! EMERGENCY BRAINSTORMING SESSION

Post by Schooly D »

For the week of March 29, VOOT will be 800 MS Points instead of the usual 1200 on the XBL Marketplace.

From Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5500560/virtual-on-ge ... s-incoming

Of course most of us already have the game. But this is probably the only good chance we'll ever have of getting new blood into the game. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should the invitational tournament be scrapped? Should we instead have a newbie tournament? Is there any way to verify that someone purchased the game after March 29?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Re: VOOT for 800 MS Points! EMERGENCY BRAINSTORMING SESSION

Post by shamanic_beat »

Schooly D wrote:Should the invitational tournament be scrapped? Should we instead have a newbie tournament?
Sure why not. It's not like we have enough people for the inv tournament anyways.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I don't think the price drop will do much.

Assuming 800 points is low enough to entice people to buy it on a whim (is it?), I'm guessing people will either:
1.) Try single player, get frustrated with the awkward controls and/or learning curve, and give up
2.) Look for some multiplayer action, find that both the Ranked and Player Match lobbies are empty, assume the game is dead, and give up
3.) Look for some multiplayer action, get annihilated by a couple veterans, and give up

There might be some way to take advantage of the price drop, but I'm not sure how. The last rookie tournament had a decent turnout, but it might be hard to repeat that. We can't tell who bought the game after the price drop, but I don't know if it's really that important anyway... even the players from the first rookie tournament haven't started playing the game regularly (AFAIK), so they're probably not significantly better at this point.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neoKEN »

1. A priority would be to redirect them here to this site just to know that VOOT has an active community.
2. Flood the VOOT kotaku thread with our own players, hopefully star rated posters, to keep discussion alive and VOOT awareness.
3. If you have a star on Kotaku, help star promote our own people. Only star or promoted post are shown.
4. Please fix any misconceptions (mainly regarding twinsticks)

Who is Kobun? He is one of the few VO aware poster I see in that thread.
Last edited by neoKEN on 02 Apr 2010, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neoKEN »

I don't believe a newbie tournament will change anything. Better off using the prize for a normal tournament.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

:( Sad face time most of the people who bought the game yesterday bought for the achievements (it is an easy 200). But on the upside about 2 thousand people bought it. Also of note the ranked and player lobbies show people who arent even playing voot in the lobbies. Whats up with that?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Where did you get these numbers?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

Points leaderboards. I made a mental note the night before it went on sale.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

neo helbeast wrote:Points leaderboards. I made a mental note the night before it went on sale.
Still how did u get the figures unless u did take the liberty to count it all. :/

If they dont even allow themselves to adjust into gameplay, its not likely they'll try multiplayer. Most of them probably lose interest quickly by just relying on tutorial. They need to see gameplay of stronger players to appreciate it more.

Btw, since yesterday I have been getting poor responses from the lobby. As in couldnt connect to a game, or the lobby disconnects when it tries to connect. I havent changed my internet settings. Downtime for Live? Anyone experience this?
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Davo87 wrote:If they dont even allow themselves to adjust into gameplay, its not likely they'll try multiplayer. Most of them probably lose interest quickly by just relying on tutorial. They need to see gameplay of stronger players to appreciate it more.
Nah, I saw a lot of players in the lobby on the first day of the discount. They need to play 10 ranked matches online to get all the achievements. Then they'll just chuck their controllers at their dogs or something. I was gonna send any new players with 10+ battles a message about this forum, and I only saw one.

And you are right about them not even caring enough to learn how to play. About half of the new players I've played don't re-align their lock-on with jump canceling. 80% of them love to jump up high (so they got half of the jump-canceling-relockon right at least) and press the right trigger as if it was Halo. Only 5% of them used turbo attacks. One was moonwalking the entire time while I pumped RWs behind him. Only two new players seem to have learned to play a little bit by demonstrating the use of dash attacks. Though I suspect that they've probably just played the DC version before.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

shamanic_beat wrote:
Davo87 wrote:If they dont even allow themselves to adjust into gameplay, its not likely they'll try multiplayer. Most of them probably lose interest quickly by just relying on tutorial. They need to see gameplay of stronger players to appreciate it more.
Nah, I saw a lot of players in the lobby on the first day of the discount. They need to play 10 ranked matches online to get all the achievements. Then they'll just chuck their controllers at their dogs or something. I was gonna send any new players with 10+ battles a message about this forum, and I only saw one.

And you are right about them not even caring enough to learn how to play. About half of the new players I've played don't re-align their lock-on with jump canceling. 80% of them love to jump up high (so they got half of the jump-canceling-relockon right at least) and press the right trigger as if it was Halo. Only 5% of them used turbo attacks. One was moonwalking the entire time while I pumped RWs behind him. Only two new players seem to have learned to play a little bit by demonstrating the use of dash attacks. Though I suspect that they've probably just played the DC version before.
Sounds depressing! :lol:
MentholMoose
NeoTechni

Post by NeoTechni »

Of course it goes on sale the week after I buy it...