VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Post by MentholMoose »

I performed an informal inventory. For just VOOT:

Two copies of the Japanese DC release, two of the US DC release (one was free), extra link cable (one was free), one standard DC Twin Sticks (had two but sold one, and the one bought at the Japan launch was replaced free later), one complete VER.5.2 "versus city" panel modded to DC Twin Sticks plus various spare parts, one Saturn "versus city stick pro" to house the modded DC sticks, and an extra DC used pretty much exclusively for versus cable mode.

Additional VER.5.2 "versus city" panels, various parts, one complete VER.5.66 panel (had three at one point), two VER.5.66 marques, VER.5.2 "in strike" cards/marques, miscellaneous related parts, another Saturn "versus city stick pro" for an additional full custom Twin Sticks if neccessary, a variety of posters (never framed lol, I seriously gotta do that someday), and various other memorabilia (keychains, etc.).

Two N@OMI VER.5.66 ROMs (had three, one sold to Scott), one N@OMI setup, various additional N@OMI parts.

In addition...

Two trips to Washington for tournaments (won both ;) ).

Many hundreds (thousands?) of games at SHGL, many dozens of games at Shinjuku Sportsland and other Japanese arcades.

Almost nine years of domain fees and hosting for this web site!

Was it worth it? OBVIOUSLY YES! I have countless memories, made many friends (e.g. Scott, who was my best man!), and had many great experiences.

My interest has waned over the years, but honestly I think this was mostly due to limited competition. Nine years after first playing, I am extremely excited for an online version. If this came out earlier, and I don't know why it didn't other than because Sega is lame, I don't know when/if I would have stopped.

So anyway, does anyone know "everything" that is required to play VOOT VER.5.66-360? Obviously an Xbox 360, but what else? The game is 1200 points, and I saw a 1600 point card on Amazon for $20, so is this game actually that cheap? Do you need a subscription or anything to access the Xbox online service?
MentholMoose
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Lucky you US people get 1600 cards, we only get it in doses of 1400 and 2800. :(

If you think of it as 1600 points for $19.99, that's approximately $15 for VOOT 5.66. When you buy a new 360, you get a month of free access to Xbox Live Gold, which is required to play any online game that doesn't already have a subscription fee (e.g., Phantasy Star Universe, Final Fantasy XI do not apply to this rule). Otherwise, XBL Gold will cost about $7.56 US (Amazon US prices) per month, or $39.99 for 12 + 1 month ($3.07 per month).

Also, unlike the PS3, the 360 does not come with built-in Wireless networking. If you plan to connect the 360 to a wireless network, you either need the Wireless adapter for the 360 ($100 or so), or set up a Netgear wireless repeater setup (cheaper, total about $60 to pull off, and covers more than just the 360).

Finally, if you're planning on buying the 360 Arcade, it will only come with 256 MB of memory, 128 MB of which will already be used for NXE. My suggestion is to get a hard drive for the 360; there was an Xbox Memory Upgrade program that allowed you to purchase a 20 GB HDD + 3 months of XBL for $30, but the program stopped as of January 31, 2009. The currently existing program allows you to purchase a 60 GB HDD for $100:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/hardw ... efault.htm

So in a nutshell, what you are looking at for an initial investment is:

Package 1 ($300):
360 Arcade - $200
- 256 MB flash memory, 1 wireless controller
60 GB program - $100
- 60 GB HDD
- 3 months LIVE
- Ethernet cable
- wired headset

Package 2 ($300):
360 Pro - $300
- 60 GB hard drive, 1 wireless controller
- wired headset
- component cables

Package 3 ($400):
360 Elite - $400
- 120 GB hard drive, 1 wireless controller
- HDMI cable, HDMI dongle for audio setup
- wired headset
- everything is black

P.S. All 360 models come with HDMI as standard.
P.S.S. If you're cheap, get a 360 component cable off of eBay for like $8 from Hong Kong or something, worth the wait. ;)
P.S.S.S. If you still want to be cheap, you can get a 360 VGA cable for $8 from Hong Kong. Also note the 360 supports native resolutions for monitors when connecting a PC monitor, whether it be by VGA, or by an HDMI -> DVI adapter.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

VERY nice post!! It's really helpful.
velocity7 wrote:If you think of it as 1600 points for $19.99, that's approximately $15 for VOOT 5.66. When you buy a new 360, you get a month of free access to Xbox Live Gold, which is required to play any online game that doesn't already have a subscription fee (e.g., Phantasy Star Universe, Final Fantasy XI do not apply to this rule). Otherwise, XBL Gold will cost about $7.56 US (Amazon US prices) per month, or $39.99 for 12 + 1 month ($3.07 per month).
That's fairly reasonable, given the current economics times, competitive market, and--- IT'S ONLINE VOOT!!!!!!!
velocity7 wrote:Also, unlike the PS3, the 360 does not come with built-in Wireless networking. If you plan to connect the 360 to a wireless network, you either need the Wireless adapter for the 360 ($100 or so), or set up a Netgear wireless repeater setup (cheaper, total about $60 to pull off, and covers more than just the 360).
Ouch, $100 MSRP for a USB wifi adapter... I think I will be playing on my PC monitor anyway, but if I really want to play in the living room I can run a cable.
velocity7 wrote:P.S. All 360 models come with HDMI as standard.
P.S.S. If you're cheap, get a 360 component cable off of eBay for like $8 from Hong Kong or something, worth the wait. ;)
P.S.S.S. If you still want to be cheap, you can get a 360 VGA cable for $8 from Hong Kong. Also note the 360 supports native resolutions for monitors when connecting a PC monitor, whether it be by VGA, or by an HDMI -> DVI adapter.
Good to know. I'll have to get the VGA cable since I'll be using my dinosaur 21" CRT. :)

Thanks again for the breakdown and info!!
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

haha, i can't wait for you to destroy the newbies to the game XD
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

circuscommando wrote:haha, i can't wait for you to destroy the newbies to the game XD
I wonder how many "newbies" will buy this game. It will be interesting to see what kind of community (if any) will form around this release. Will it mostly be the hard core players? Will there be many new players at all?
MentholMoose
mechazoidal

Post by mechazoidal »

MentholMoose wrote: I wonder how many "newbies" will buy this game. It will be interesting to see what kind of community (if any) will form around this release. Will it mostly be the hard core players? Will there be many new players at all?
Well, Ollie's latest column is up, and he's pretty pessimistic about it. I'm not completely convinced, however: I was fully expecting this last weekend to be the last hurrah for AVC, but the number of new people that showed up astounded me and has given me a glimmer of hope.

I mean, you guys at the meet had only controllers to learn on, and you all did quite well! If there are people with that attitude just up here in the Pacific NW, then spreading VOOT to the whole of the world can only increase exposure to it. Sure, there might not be a tidal wave of newbies, but VO has always been a niche that appeals to those who grasp the core concepts. For every ten people that look at it and go "****, go play Bootfighter instead", one person may find it intriguing enough to learn more, and that's cool with me.
..And now I'm making motivational speeches. I should probably not drink any more coffee.

Also, as a historical aside in Ollie's column, I found it hilarious that the whole dash-vectoring scheme arose out of the programming shortcut of precalculating dash destinations. I didn't realize how much the original VO was pushing the Model 2 hardware. :D
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

we actually had several pairs of sticks at the meet, but one of our players was insistent on using controller. I actually don't blame that however, as I came from seven years on VOOT using the controller, only recently did I even discover that sticks work with US consoles (I was falsely informed they didn't several years ago :) So I'm actually much better with controller (as my temjin proved, I used controller once during the meet). But the meet to me wasn't about showing skill, because I know that I can only improve, so I stook with sticks the whole time, It was a rockin learning experience, because I hadn't played so many different skill levels and styles.

I took the information I brought back to my friends, and I've finally convinced them (after years) to put down marvel and 3rd strike and step up to VOOT. They will be joining me on future meets.

Washington will prevail!
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

ah, wish i could join you guys, sounds like lots of fun.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

somepunk wrote:So I'm actually much better with controller (as my temjin proved, I used controller once during the meet).
The controller can be very capable, to a point. Back when I was a newbie working on US VOOT as a game tester, when playing with Twin Sticks I was routinely beaten by the other tester who always used a controller. However, once I got into the competitive scene, my skills jumped dramatically and the controller would be a major hindrance.
somepunk wrote:But the meet to me wasn't about showing skill, because I know that I can only improve, so I stook with sticks the whole time
Very true and a good idea if you want to reach a high skill level.
somepunk wrote:It was a rockin learning experience, because I hadn't played so many different skill levels and styles.
This is actually what convinced me to quit back in 2002. There just wasn't enough competition in Socal anymore (even though we had a VER.5.66 machine!), and at the Illusionz tourney in December 2001, I had trouble with Scott Robinson's Raiden because I hadn't seen a good Raiden for a long while. There was a Socal player, Torin, who had amazing Raiden skills, honed while he was studying in Japan for a year or so, but he was almost finished with the game when I was still fairly new.
somepunk wrote:Washington will prevail!
Haha, we'll see!! :)
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

My gosh....so much I want to comment on. >_> Let's see...what to talk about, what to talk about? LOL I'm a controler user[ever since getting VOOT in '00 that's all i've ever used] as well. Never got around to getting twin sticks, but oh my gosh I can imagine how awesome it would be to actually grasp the controls and really feel like you're piloting Cypher. *cries* Take to the skies and unleash a barrage of death upon your enemy. :D *cries even more* As for the fanbase...I have quite a few friends whom i've talked to about VO and they're interested. They love the look of the mechs and I mean...they're not hardcore into it, but they'd surely play it. One that I know would buy it for sure. But my goodness...is it great to see you guys here. We're such a small community...it seems. VO just doesn't have that big online fanbase that many games do. Makes VO seem even more special I think. ;)
"Nuh uh uh"
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

if you have the money, go for the sticks, it's a very different experience.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

My custom sticks are in the works. I plan to document and build multiple "levels" of sticks, with various costs. Specifically, this is what I'm thinking:

1) CHEAP: Saturn Twin Sticks, some wire/connectors, and a used 360 controller.
2) LESS-CHEAP: Same as 1), but easily reversible and using DC Twin Sticks.
3) NOT-CHEAP: Full blown arcade quality sticks.

1) and 3) are about half done, I have modded Saturn Twin Sticks and arcade Twin Sticks (no mod required) that are ready to be connected to a modded Xbox controller; the 360 controller is in the mail. I'll probably just mod one controller to work with both. 2) will be a bit harder. Also if possible I will build some "universal" Twin Sticks that will work on other consoles.

All this is dependent on whether or not Sega includes a compatible control scheme in VOOT 5.66 360, and/or fully customizable controls.
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

circuscommando wrote:if you have the money, go for the sticks, it's a very different experience.
Yea indeed it is, indeed it is. Hmmm...they'd be so difficult to find though I bet. They were hard enough to find back a few years or so ago when I was first discovering the online VO communites, I can't imagine now. lol But I just might invest in some. Can't say when i'd be able to though. =/ And that sounds awesome Menthol. Be sure to post of pics upon completion. :D
"Nuh uh uh"
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

RVR - 42 wrote:
circuscommando wrote:if you have the money, go for the sticks, it's a very different experience.
Yea indeed it is, indeed it is. Hmmm...they'd be so difficult to find though I bet. They were hard enough to find back a few years or so ago when I was first discovering the online VO communites, I can't imagine now. lol But I just might invest in some. Can't say when i'd be able to though. =/ And that sounds awesome Menthol. Be sure to post of pics upon completion. :D
give or take, you'll probably get a pair for around $100, i personally have the Saturn sticks and a converter, my only gripe with them so far is that they sometimes have issues.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Oh yea? $100 isn't too bad. I don't know though...I don't think i'd have the space or the time to fully appreciate them, right now. Upon graduation I may attempt to purchase some, but that's another few years. *shrugs*
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

RVR - 42 wrote:Be sure to post of pics upon completion. :D
Yes, I will. Check out the thread I created, where I will log my progress!
circuscommando wrote:give or take, you'll probably get a pair for around $100, i personally have the Saturn sticks and a converter, my only gripe with them so far is that they sometimes have issues.
Ouch, it seems Saturn Twin Sticks are not that cheap afterall. Maybe we can find a source of cheap ones in Japan, like some AVC members did a few years ago (IIRC they they bought 40+ sets!!), but maybe they are mostly gone now due to the demand created by the Sega Ages VOOM release.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

MentholMoose wrote:
RVR - 42 wrote:Be sure to post of pics upon completion. :D
Yes, I will. Check out the thread I created, where I will log my progress!
circuscommando wrote:give or take, you'll probably get a pair for around $100, i personally have the Saturn sticks and a converter, my only gripe with them so far is that they sometimes have issues.
Ouch, it seems Saturn Twin Sticks are not that cheap afterall. Maybe we can find a source of cheap ones in Japan, like some AVC members did a few years ago (IIRC they they bought 40+ sets!!), but maybe they are mostly gone now due to the demand created by the Sega Ages VOOM release.
that's the thing actually.

-I got a pair of saturns for about $60-$80 and the Adapter for ~$25-$40
-VO:OT control sticks for DC cost an average of $90-$120
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Hmmm...the thing is I don't even know if i'd have all of the stuff i'd need for the twin sticks to even work. Apparently you need than jsut the sticks. An adapter thing is necessary you say, circuscommando? Then again...before I purchase any sticks I could surely come here and get a rundown of all the supplies i'd need, right? :D
"Nuh uh uh"
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

OK!
For Denou Senki: Virtual ON (Saturn) You need:
*1 Sega Saturn
*1 Sega Saturn Virtual On Twin Stick (preferably)
*a TV
*a power outlet
*1 copy of Denou Senki: Virtual ON
*Some Form of memory (preferably)

For Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram (Dreamcast) You need:
*1 Sega Dreamcast
*1 Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram (DC) Twin sticks OR 1 Sega Saturn Virtual On Twin Stick WITH a Total Control 3 Adapter, or anything else that can change a saturn plugin to a dreamcast connection
*1 Copy of Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram
*a VMU (preferably)
*a TV
*a Power Outlet

Most of this is easily found on E-bay, for varying prices, some can be found on Amazon, others on Play-Asia.com, and almost anywhere else.
Warning: Some sites are not reliable, if you find a site that seems so post it, and we'll take a look.
happy shopping. :D
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Hahha oh wow...thanks for that list man. Helps alot! So it seems my best bet would really be getting the SS sticks and getting an adapter...that way I could use them for both my SS and DC. I don't have nay memory for my SS though. Or atleast I don't believe I do. *adds checking to see if he has a memory card for his SS to his to do list*
"Nuh uh uh"