Jaguarandi Discussion

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Jaguarandi Discussion

Post by Temjin747K »

This is where we discuss the infamous Jaguarandi! As you all know, he first appeared in Operation Moongate as a penalty boss if your total time is over 3 minutes and as you all know, he is really tough to beat! If you think his Bazooka is bad enough, and the Trap Bomb (the floating mine that turns into a 4-way missile attack) being a bit worse, wait till you get hit with his 10-way laser blast!

He appeared once again as a regular boss in VO4 Force and he's a lot bigger than he was in the first game, as many of you may remember. And his weapons are now energy-based and his appearance is drastically changed.

Jaguarandi's weapons in VO4 Force and VO MARZ
-------------------------------------------------------
LW: Buster L (a bouncing energy bomb that homes in on the target)
CW: TFC Eraser (it's a new version of Jag's lasers)
RW: Buster R (huge energy shots)

As many of you know, Jaguarandi was once an ordinary Raiden, until a young boy's mind got trapped in it, mutating the VR into a bug in the Mind Shift Battle System. During the early days of the 3rd-Generation VRs, Jaguarandi materialized into the real world, causing panic among the cyber syndicates and VR armies, so Dr. L'ln Plajiner created the Guarayakha to contain Jaguarandi, so mankind could study it. But things went horribly wrong, as Jaguarandi started to manifest itself through the Guarayakha prototype, as well as the monstrous bug itself getting Guarayakha's witch hat and cat ears.

Another thing about old Jaggy: Back when the game was still in development, Jaguarandi didn't have a name back then and his weapons are different in the beta version of the arcade game instead of the final version. He had the Trap Bomb since the beta version.

Jaguarandi's weapons in the final version of Operation Moongate
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
LW: Trap Bomb
CW: 10 Laser
RW: Bazooka

Jaguarandi's weapons in the beta version
---------------------------------------------
LW: Trap Bomb
CW: what appears to be a short beam launcher
RW: something of an energy pillar launcher

if you follow this address below, you'll see a youtube video of some guy fighting Jaguarandi in the beta version of Operation Moongate. As you watch, you'll notice that Jaguarandi is as big as he is in Force and MARZ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1sGNJZ4UxM

if you look at :44-:47, that's when you see that Jaggy's had that Trap Bomb since the beta of the game. tell me what you think! :)
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Jaguarandi Discussion

Post by Temjin747K »

hello, anyone gonna reply?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Cool summary. I basically have only played VOOT so I haven't had any experience with Jaguarandi.
MentholMoose
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Fredo EA8D

Post by Fredo »

I sometime play VOOM and fighting Jag is always such a pain in the ass !

Jag deserves the "BIG BOSS" status much more than Z-Gradt does. Z-Gradt just looks like nothing, I hate it.
VOOT: Raiden, Apharmd C, Apharmd B, Cypher, Temjin

French VO Pilot !
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

Temjin747K wrote:This is where we discuss the infamous Jaguarandi! As you all know, he first appeared in Operation Moongate as a penalty boss if your total time is over 3 minutes and as you all know, he is really tough to beat!
I'm not sure whether the 3-minute limit is all that there is to getting him.
This is based on my experience playing VOOM PC with 5 matches per adversary for the regular (non-boss) enemies. I've had times of 15-17 minutes without getting Jaguarandi... It seems that either the average time per adversary or the lowest time per adversary is also important.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

well it's either the over three minutes thing or playing the through the first five levels like a coward
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

On my arcade machine, I can concur that it is passing a certain time period, though there is an exception-

1. If you get a high enough rank and fight aggressively enough, you can go 3:30 without him attacking.
2. If you get an S rank, you may not have to fight him at all. Each time I've had an S rank, even if I went over the 3:30 limit, I ended up being able to skip him.

Nice writeup!
ImageImage
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

thx
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

Wait, there are other requirement for Jag to appear in OMG? I always thought that it was the timelimit/Rounds per match that does the trick.

Anyways, OMG Jag is incredibly easy to manipulate, so he shouldn't be too much of a problem once you figured it out :)
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

He's a lot more difficult in the arcade version on Very Hard mode (what I have mine set too). He's far less predictable and loves to do a charging 8-way o_o
ImageImage
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

you know, I feel kinda bad for the young boy whose mind got trapped in that Raiden, don't you?
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

MasterFygar wrote:He's a lot more difficult in the arcade version on Very Hard mode (what I have mine set too). He's far less predictable and loves to do a charging 8-way o_o
I've killed him within the time limit using Viper-II on the PC version on very hard mode. It's a question of avoiding his attacks and timing your own really well.
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

Pretty sure Jag ALWAYS retaliate with his RW bazookas if you spam your RW shots when he's down... :p

EDIT: Wait. Did you just meant dashing+CW shots from Jag? :o Never seen those before in my entire OMG history vs Jag, even on PC V.Hard :lol:
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

Viper2 wrote:
MasterFygar wrote:He's a lot more difficult in the arcade version on Very Hard mode (what I have mine set too). He's far less predictable and loves to do a charging 8-way o_o
I've killed him within the time limit using Viper-II on the PC version on very hard mode. It's a question of avoiding his attacks and timing your own really well.
you must be really good
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

guarayakha wrote:Pretty sure Jag ALWAYS retaliate with his RW bazookas if you spam your RW shots when he's down... :p

EDIT: Wait. Did you just meant dashing+CW shots from Jag? :o Never seen those before in my entire OMG history vs Jag, even on PC V.Hard :lol:
Yep, that's what I mean. Happens almost every round with me if I play as Dorkas in the arcade version on max difficulty. Never managed to make it happen in the ports myself, either. It would be pretty easy if it weren't for those :lol:
ImageImage
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

heh.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

Temjin747K wrote:heh.
What do you mean exactly...?

Also, I played around with this today on my OMG machine. Although it's hard to prove, I believe you have 3:00 to play until Jag appears if you have an A rank or lower (rank is determined by a number of factors at the end of Bal Bas Bow, similar to how Jaguarandi's appearance is calculated), and if you have what would be an S or SS you can go for 3:30. Keep in mind it's rare to play well enough for an S rank and still take 3:30, so... I actually only ran into him once today (the rest is on data I collected previously), he unfortunately beat me when I got him down to about 1/15 HP but he appeared at 3:32. I was doing well on some battles and horrible on others, so I'm not sure what my rank would have been had I won.

Also, Jaguarandi is spelled Jaguar and I. Huh.
ImageImage
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

I had nothing to say, man, whaddya expect? anyways, wouldn't be cool if Jaguarandi existed in real life?!
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

Temjin747K wrote:I had nothing to say, man, whaddya expect? anyways, wouldn't be cool if Jaguarandi existed in real life?!
Haha, well usually when I have nothing to say, I don't post, but you are getting a pretty nice post count that way and mine is pathetic for the time I've been here so I won't say anything (plus it's nice to have posts here at all) :D It wouldn't be cool at all, though, because we'd all be dead. :? If we all got our own VRs to fight it, though, yeah, that would be pretty awesome.
ImageImage
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

I'd use one of the SHBVD's Raidens!