My first experience with VOOT (XBOX 360) ranked matches

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
yktan

My first experience with VOOT (XBOX 360) ranked matches

Post by yktan »

I was messing around with my VOOT game today at the "multiplayer: ranked match" screen today and thought that there would be no one who would be online at this time.

To my horror, I connected with a player and was horribly thrashed. The horror was not so much of fighting a real human individual at this point of time, but rather, the gulf of difference in skill. Undaunted, I tried a couple more battles, and then a couple more, and thus far, I have lost a total of 11 times out of 11 battles.

Realizing that I sucked, would anyone here wants to fight off against me and critique my errors? I'm an Apharmd Battler player btw.

I can briefly recall some gamertags that I have encountered (sanyousoo, Wakingray, Yzer0000Cypher, etc.....) and wondered would any of those gamertags belong to you guys?
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive

Re: My first experience with VOOT (XBOX 360) ranked matches

Post by S-Advent »

I would like to help but I need to get a modem for my 360 (damn Cox...)
I'm now VO:F ready, bring it on!
VR: All of them.
Some_Nob

Post by Some_Nob »

I would also like to add, that I lasted my first online match (just to test gameplay/lag)... a total of about 20 seconds...

That was for 2 rounds game time too..

Ouch!.

So dont feel bad ;).

Find me, and we will prac together. :D
~~~~~~~~~~
Don't argue with an idiot! They will lower your intelligence to their level, then beat you with experience.

GT:Some_Nob 360
VR:Fei Yen Kn
VO4: TBA

Australia, Brisbane - a founding member of BrisVOC - for VOOM(OMG).
~~~~~~~~~~
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

yktan wrote:Realizing that I sucked, would anyone here wants to fight off against me and critique my errors? I'm an Apharmd Battler player btw.
Oh God, thank you. Thank you for not being another Temjin. Thankyouthankyouthankyou. I think more than half of the people here who still play use Temjin and boy, let me tell you, it gets old fast.

As long as you're not using Temjin I will make it my life's duty to get you up to a competitive skill level. My Gamertag is "Schooly D"

Do you know how to upload replays in VOOT?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

If you just started it's pretty hard just to talk about errors, you probably need to play more for them to become apparent.

The start was the same for me at least, getting in ranked match and losing a lot (and I didn't know anyone else who played the game) You're probably better off training in player match as people give you some space, use other VRs etc. instead of playing to win. The player match lobby is pretty empty nowadays because of Force though.

edit: wow, 2 posts while I was typing mine. agreed with schooly :lol: , I can play a bit too, GT is Zaarock
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Tet

Post by Tet »

Agreed with everyone above about the Temjin thing. I don't feel very original and it makes me sad, so that's why I want to try and use other VRs. And yktan, er, sorry about utterly wrecking one time I think. I'm not sure, I played a ton of matches. Your name does sound pretty familiar. My gamertag's Bakufuun, so if that's in your recent player list... uh, sorry. I'd be glad to play you with one of the VRs I'm learning, though, like Apharmd C, Stein-Vok, or Dordray. I can't play any of them as well as I'd like, so it'd be closer to being fair. It'd be in the player match lobby, though. I'll send you a friend request if you're in my recent players, alright?
Area to remain blank until I stop procrastinating.
Wait...
yktan

Post by yktan »

Some_Nob wrote:I would also like to add, that I lasted my first online match (just to test gameplay/lag)... a total of about 20 seconds...

That was for 2 rounds game time too..

Ouch!.

So dont feel bad ;).

Find me, and we will prac together. :D
Thanks for the encouragement!
Schooly D wrote:
yktan wrote:Do you know how to upload replays in VOOT?
Nope. Which reminds me........how do I search and add someone as a friend and play a game with said friend? I need to add you guys first before I can be.....uh.....thrashed by you guys. XD

As an aside, how do you upload replays? :D
Zaarock wrote:If you just started it's pretty hard just to talk about errors, you probably need to play more for them to become apparent.

The start was the same for me at least, getting in ranked match and losing a lot (and I didn't know anyone else who played the game) You're probably better off training in player match as people give you some space, use other VRs etc. instead of playing to win. The player match lobby is pretty empty nowadays because of Force though.

edit: wow, 2 posts while I was typing mine. agreed with schooly :lol: , I can play a bit too, GT is Zaarock
Yeah, played player match and loss alot as well. Think I've secured two victories thus far. At least I'm improving, albeit at a slow rate.
Tet wrote:Your name does sound pretty familiar. My gamertag's Bakufuun, so if that's in your recent player list... uh, sorry. ?
Now that you've mentioned it, I think I got killed by you once or twice. Can't really recall what virtuaroid you were using though, sorry. How do you check out your recent players list?

On a side note, I think I know some of my mistakes (which I will list them out):

- Being stupid and using a standing LW (Apharmd B) to create a screen of explosion, and in turn, being a sitting duck to Cypher's RTRW and Temjin's RTRW
- Using FW Dash to do FW Dash RW instead of dash CC (I know, I'm too used to using my Aph B this way. >.< Well, at least it caught some people off guard when I pump bullets into their face while they try guarding)
- Not knowing how to handle dordray players (apparently my shooty-centric Aph B playstyle can't seem to damage them despite me going to short range/mid range)
- Moving too fast and running into projectiles
- Knocking an opponent down and waiting for them to get back on their feet, and in turn, getting my self set-up for some CC whopping by the opponent

There are also certain things that surprised me (me being ignorant that there are such techniques):
- Is there such a thing called a curve dash? How do you do it? I saw some people curve dash CCing me.
- How do players apparently "seem" to be dashing, and suddenly, they can pull up a "standard" CC attack on me? Dash cancel and CC when I'm in their range? If so, how can they pull it off so fast? Doesn't look like dash CC to me though. =/
- A certain Grys-vok player seems to be able to use two weapons at a time, thus flooding the whole screen with projectiles. Zzzz
- A certain Dordray player seems to be able to spam his claw and drill relentlessly. Zzzz
- A fellow Apharmd Battler player using a "quite homing" stun tornado attack
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

yktan wrote:- Is there such a thing called a curve dash? How do you do it? I saw some people curve dash CCing me.
In this game the "watari" dash allows you to change direction mid-dash. If you pair this with an attack (or just time an attack well during a normal dash) you will turn to face the opponent as you attack. This, or simply some veteran players doing several-step watari dashes, can appear to be a curve-like motion.

By the same token, though, if you're getting CCed that way, it may be that they're simply side-stepping you. I couldn't really tell without seeing what it is you call a curve dash, but a dash/watari dash into CC range followed by a CC attack, crouch-CC cancel, and then a sidestep could certainly also look like a curve dash.

If you add me on XBL and would like too I'll play with you and try these things until one of them looks like what you were thinking of and then help you see how to do it. My GT is the same as my username.
ImageImage
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Or they could've just been rotating in a dash and doing curving dash cc :) if you time it right with the rotation you can dash cc directly behind where you were dashing, etc. Some VRs rotate faster than others. Using rotation with dash CC makes it much more useful, as you can aim and enlarge the area you hit. I don't agree about watari dashes looking circular in VOOT, in force sure.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

Curve dashing is when you input the turn command while you dash. Annoying to perform on the pad, extremely easy to do with the twinsticks. Best example of use: Bal's Shrimp dash CC :D
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

guarayakha wrote:Curve dashing is when you input the turn command while you dash. Annoying to perform on the pad, extremely easy to do with the twinsticks. Best example of use: Bal's Shrimp dash CC :D
Extremely easy to do on the pad, too. Just set the Left and Right Bumpers to "Rotate Left/Right," and bam, push-to-turn.
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

Oh, right...totally forgotten about full custom scheme in OT.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Schooly D wrote: I think more than half of the people here who still play use Temjin and boy, let me tell you, it gets old fast.
My Gears of Wall tactics aren't exciting enough for you?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

shamanic_beat wrote:
Schooly D wrote: I think more than half of the people here who still play use Temjin and boy, let me tell you, it gets old fast.
My Gears of Wall tactics aren't exciting enough for you?
Honestly? I think your Temjin is one of the less-annoying ones to fight. Bouncing bombs and timing sCW are all right. And of course, as a Cypher/AphS player, I'm not going to get mad at anyone for hiding behind buildings. But there's only so much "air fwd-LW, air fwd-RW, SURPRISE fwdiag-cRW" I can handle.

And let's not even get into the fact that TEM v CYP rounds are essentially broken into two parts:

First 70 seconds: normal play
Last 10 seconds: if CYP is winning, SURFING RAM BONUS ROUND is activated

Since Surfing Ram does about 85% damage to Cypher it's like giving the losing team in a basketball game the chance to sink a shot from half-court after time is expired, and if they make it they win.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Didn't we agree to not mention the surfing ram's new name in fear of a certain VOOT player?
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive

Post by chunkypuff31 »

Schooly D wrote:
shamanic_beat wrote:And let's not even get into the fact that TEM v CYP rounds are essentially broken into two parts:

First 70 seconds: normal play
Last 10 seconds: if CYP is winning, SURFING RAM BONUS ROUND is activated

Since Surfing Ram does about 85% damage to Cypher it's like giving the losing team in a basketball game the chance to sink a shot from half-court after time is expired, and if they make it they win.
While I realize that your experience with Vash has left a rather sour taste in your mouth (possibly one of cigarettes and Pocky), how many Temjin players do you see actually use the Blue Slider on a regular basis? Nobody really seems to do it from what I've seen (then again, I can't really speak for you when it comes to your experience with other players). The only times we've really done it in parties were either because we're just goofing around, or Tieria was trying to get on your nerves. :lol:

Also, no matter what you say, you ain't breakin' the Temjin brotherhood. Phantom's got my back on that. 8-)
Examples of unintended hilarity, generously provided by Vash:
"With Geico, you can save thousands of money!"
"I am the only one playing with myself at night."
yktan

Post by yktan »

Okay, am back after I got my butt kicked alot of times.....and why is my thread hijacked? XD

Realized some other <facepalm> faults of mine:

An Apharmd B player who "does not know" how to do circular slice (or should I say I have a success rate of 5%)

Apparently I press and hold on to turbo followed by keying in a direction + RW/LW but somehow I don't see it getting worked out though. =/

Yeah, I'm referring to the rotating dash CC. Seems hard to pull it off though.

I've fought a couple of times with fellow Apharmd B players and their circular slicing seems cool.

Anyways how do you upload replays online? Need help with that before you guys can critique my skill (or lack of skill thereof)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

yktan wrote:Anyways how do you upload replays online? Need help with that before you guys can critique my skill (or lack of skill thereof)
Save your replay, then watch it and when it's over you will be prompted to upload it.
MentholMoose
yktan

Post by yktan »

Okay, finally got the hang of circular slice (I was pressing the wrong turbo button all along! Didn't know that a clockwise circular slice needs to have the LEFT turbo pressed while an anti-clockwise circular slice needs to have the RIGHT turbo pressed)

(On a side note, I managed to upload a replay. Now....how do I take it down?)

Does anyone have tips for a budding apharmd B player to get close to the opponent?

My concern is that today I fought against a very unsportsmanlike individual who just shot me and ran away from me for the next 10-20 seconds trying to cower behind some obstacles. :(

Seriously ruined my day.
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

I'm pretty sure either turbo would've worked for the circ-slice, I remember doing weird combinations like hold RTurbo, move the LStick and squeezing the RTrigger (at least in the arcades).