Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Big Time Tournament

Post by Schooly D »

Ok, I decided to scrap the rookie tournament because:

(1) it's small potatoes
(2) 10 people would have signed up and 4 people would have shown up

So we're done with that. We should try bigger things.

I'd like to put on a tournament with a big prize. Here's what I want to do: I want to have a tournament where the prize is a new pair of Hori Twin Sticks. The winner of the prize would be determined by sort of like a weighted door prize. It would go something like this:

Double-elimination tournament, random seeding. The winner of the twin sticks will be determined by drawing names from a hat. Everyone who shows up gets their name in the hat once. For each win you have during the tournament, your name gets added again.

So if you win no matches, your name is in the hat once. If you win 1 match before being eliminated, your name is in the hat twice. Etc.

This sort of weighted door-prize method I think is a good way to both (1) encourage people who aren't good to play (since everyone has a chance at winning the sticks), and (2) still give players something to compete for (more entries in the hat).

If people could help me out with two things I'd greatly appreciate it:
- can someone point me to where I can buy a pair of those nice Hori Twin Sticks?
- I'd be willing to pay for most of the cost of the sticks, but any donations from people here would be greatly appreciated

The tournament would be open to everyone, including Japanese players who speak English (or just any Japanese players if we can get aniking on translator duty). I might ask people from different continents to pay for shipping should they win since I imagine that'd be really expensive.

Please respond with questions / comments / offers to donate a little cash to help the cause. I think we could get -a lot- of people in here if we offered Twin Sticks as a door prize.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Re: Big Time Tournament

Post by neo helbeast »

I'd totally be willing to chip in towards a Hori. The tourney seems like an excellent idea.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

This is an awesome idea. If I'm not broke by then I'll try to pitch in a bit as well. I love the idea of a tournament where everyone has SOME chance of winning.
ImageImage
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Schooly D wrote:I think we could get -a lot- of people in here if we offered Twin Sticks as a door prize.
It depends on the goal, I'm not sure what you're aiming for. Could we get a lot of people for the tournament? Perhaps. Can we get a decent number of non-Japanese people to actually stick around and play VOOT on a somewhat regular basis? I doubt it. You can lead a horse to water...

Not that my perpetual negativity should stop you. :mrgreen: I might even contribute, even though I spent too much on my twin sticks, let alone somebody else's. :|
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

DeepInTheHops wrote:
Schooly D wrote:I think we could get -a lot- of people in here if we offered Twin Sticks as a door prize.
It depends on the goal, I'm not sure what you're aiming for. Could we get a lot of people for the tournament? Perhaps. Can we get a decent number of non-Japanese people to actually stick around and play VOOT on a somewhat regular basis? I doubt it. You can lead a horse to water...
Leading them here is the best we can do. We throw crap at the wall and see what sticks. The only thing we could do better would be to actually change the game, or make a new one. Which we can't.

If I can get my rear in gear at get virtualon.org back up as a legit, navigable, and purty-lookin VO website, then that might be more appealing than a lone forum (no offense Menthol, I know you're a busy man)
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

I'd also be willing to help pay some of the cost of the sticks. I'd be interested in playing, although I don't actually want to win the sticks. I'm pad for life, you see. So I guess you just wouldn't put my name into the hat. Although I might have a change of heart when the thought of actually winning them crosses my mind.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

So does anyone know where to buy the TSEX? I'm not sure they're available for a reasonable price.
MentholMoose
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Schooly D wrote:Leading them here is the best we can do. We throw crap at the wall and see what sticks. The only thing we could do better would be to actually change the game, or make a new one. Which we can't.
Sad, but true. Between the learning curve and the chicken-and-egg problem (nobody plays because nobody plays, especially other beginners), I'm not sure what else we can do. It's extra challenging now because the game is old (both originally and as a re-release).
PhantomPhotonX wrote:I'd be interested in playing, although I don't actually want to win the sticks.
Same here, I don't need two sets.
Tet
Gamertag: Bakufuun

Post by Tet »

Well, now that I'm back to playing VOOT since my CEVO team for Team Fortress 2 disbanded pretty much, I'll be up for this tournament since the Rookie tourney was canceled. Sure, I'll get wrecked. It'll be fun though. It'll also let me do what I wanted to do since I played this game from Day 1. Play this game with its actual controls. Actually, I'm entering this tourney largely because right now, ever since I started attaching rotating after Schooly gave the idea of placing the rotation commands on the bumpers, I've noticed how important that is, more so than instant jump canceling in my opinion. I'll last for now, but I'm making it as far up that ladder as I darn well can. Which will be the first round. But hey, that's one entry. And again, it'll be fun to play anyhow.
Area to remain blank until I stop procrastinating.
Wait...
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

I have to redact my offer to chip in for a HORI twin. My life has gonn to Hell in a handbasket in the span of two weeks or so and I'm moving as soon as I grab my degree in may and hoofing it to Orlando. [spoiler]Oh, Parents! Your disapproving of my life style only proves you're way more intolerant than me.[/spoiler]

E: Menthol, You need to add spoilers and strikes to the BBcode
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

neo helbeast wrote:[spoiler]Oh, Parents! Your disapproving of my life style only proves you're way more intolerant than me.[/spoiler]
[memereference]Parents: Your resistance only makes your life harder![/memereference]
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

shamanic_beat wrote:
neo helbeast wrote:[spoiler]Oh, Parents! Your disapproving of my life style only proves you're way more intolerant than me.[/spoiler]
[memereference]Parents: Your resistance only makes your life harder![/memereference]
Pretty much.

Edit: IRL drama Shall stay irl

Tet

Post by Tet »

Just a thought, but would it be fine if I used the other Xbox Live account to try and help inspire people to play VOOT and other VO games? Of course, I don't think it would be fair to allow that account to have its name get into the hat, though, since it would pretty much end up going to me anyhow unless they decided to get the game for certain. But yeah. Was just wondering how that would work out.

In hindsight, I don't like my last post. It made me feel too obsessive and greedy. Can I ask for a minus one name into the hat as a penalty?

Second note, hope this actually goes somewhere. I really want to participate in a VO tourney that doesn't just flop dead.
Wait...
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

Tet wrote:Just a thought, but would it be fine if I used the other Xbox Live account to try and help inspire people to play VOOT and other VO games? Of course, I don't think it would be fair to allow that account to have its name get into the hat, though, since it would pretty much end up going to me anyhow unless they decided to get the game for certain. But yeah. Was just wondering how that would work out.

In hindsight, I don't like my last post. It made me feel too obsessive and greedy. Can I ask for a minus one name into the hat as a penalty?

Second note, hope this actually goes somewhere. I really want to participate in a VO tourney that doesn't just flop dead.
?

I'm not sure I get this... you want to play on someone else' account? Or am I reading this wrong?
Some_Nob
Gamertag: Some Nob 360

Post by Some_Nob »

I'd be interested, after my recent thrashing by Schooly D, Zaarock and another Japanese person (newccc - Grys-Vok) - oh and there was a very brief slaughter (lasted oh what 15secs) by PhantomPhotonX's Temjin - to try say, a little more taimed prey ;).

Though I always consider a loss a lesson - so look forward many more. Nothing gets my heart pumping quite like VO :D.

Though perhaps suggest you do 'group' heavyweight and lightweight matchups... or rather implement a seeding of some form, just my 2 cents.

And I'd participate without requiring a name drop, just for the challenge :D.
~~~~~~~~~~
Don't argue with an idiot! They will lower your intelligence to their level, then beat you with experience.

GT:Some_Nob 360
VR:Fei Yen Kn
VO4: TBA

Australia, Brisbane - a founding member of BrisVOC - for VOOM(OMG).
~~~~~~~~~~
Zanyuki

Post by Zanyuki »

I would love to join, but seeing as I'm not in the US...

:(

Well good luck with the tourney. I hope next time you guys make a sort of a global or international tournament, so I and a few buddies can join too.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

This is an international tournament. If you can speak English you can join.
Tet

Post by Tet »

neo helbeast wrote:
Tet wrote:Just a thought, but would it be fine if I used the other Xbox Live account to try and help inspire people to play VOOT and other VO games? Of course, I don't think it would be fair to allow that account to have its name get into the hat, though, since it would pretty much end up going to me anyhow unless they decided to get the game for certain. But yeah. Was just wondering how that would work out.

?

I'm not sure I get this... you want to play on someone else' account? Or am I reading this wrong?
Now that I'm back from Pokemon, I guess I can explain. I have some friends who like to play VOOT, but they don't have an Xbox of their own so they play on my brother's account to play online. I was wondering if it'd be fine if one of them played on that account while I play on my own account. I was asking this because of what we would do with the reward, as it would tip the balance unfairly.

That being said, I would recommend trying to find a way to have the tournament go without a real prize, but from what my research into the past shows, that kind of died and doesn't work. I'd try and donate any money to the sticks if I managed to get any, but the little earthquake thing in Japan takes priority in my book. That's if I can manage to get money without my family stealing it, anyhow.
Wait...
Graalof1ce
Gamertag: Skydriverice

Post by Graalof1ce »

I'd be interested in joining this tourney. That is, if it's still going.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

I just realized I completely forgot to sign up.