A new project of 360 TwinSticks *NOW COMPLETE*

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Fredo EA8D

Re: A new project of 360 TwinSticks

Post by Fredo »

Not really an update beacause I'm still waiting for the buttons I've ordered to finish my custom Saturn Twin Stick.

Anyway, somebody asked me some pictures of my custom Dreamcast TwinStick so here we go:

Here is a picture of the case being painted:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/dsc3435z.jpg/

A picture of the inside wiring.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/imgp0310p.jpg/
You can see the white Sanwa button that does Xbox Guide. It shall be replaced by a black one soon.

The wiring is pretty messy, I don't really like this but this is because I recycled this PCB from my previous TwinStick project, which was basically the first PCB I ever soldered on.
VOOT: Raiden, Apharmd C, Apharmd B, Cypher, Temjin

French VO Pilot !
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

As a Shoryukren forums regular, I have to say, that wiring is pretty good.
If you want to "clean up the wiring more so" I would use some spiral wrap as you do not have to cut any wiring. Just cut the spiral wrap to length and wrap your existing wiring up.
Spiral wrap examples:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g35/c17 ... d=ZVWYUaTD
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ath=44_300

Otherwise this stick is looking great, I like to see the end product.
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Fredo »

Ho thank you. Well, there many things you can not see due to the quality of the picture, but some wires are tensed and I don't like that. I had no choice but to use this PCB again (finding a fightpad at a reasonnabl price has become quite hard in France) on wich I soldered very thin wires wich was a BAD idea. I got used to do some much cleaner wiring since then, as you will see once I'll have finished wiring the Saturn TwinStick.

I've had quite a bad experience with spiral wrap so I don't think I'll use this again soon, I like these much better (don't know the english name).

Ho and the "black Dreamcast twin Stick" project is over since June, the picture is here:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/dsc3436c.jpg/
There's only the white Guide push button to replace by a black one, but that's a minor detail.

I've ordered some 24mm push buttons for my Saturn Twin Stick, but couldn't have a black one for the Dreamcast TS, so I guess it'll have to wait a bit longer. By the way the wiring is almost finished: finished because I already can play VOOT with this TS but amlmost because I will have to wire those butons once I'll have got them.

I'm also working on a third project which does not concerns VO, but I've managed to get an empty Saturn TwinStick case (the owner took the sticks to make an arcade panel), and I'm working on making an Arcade Stick with it. It is related to the Saturn Twin Stick Project as it will use the same external PS360 PCB to work, which in fact is the reason I choosed not to put the PCB inside the Twin Stick.

New pictures soon !

French VO Pilot !
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

We in the States call them Zip ties or Cable ties.

Any ways its the outside of the stick not the insides everyone will see.
Nicely done.

I am going to be working on a HSS - 0136 mod as soon as the stick gets delivered.
So I will share what I learn from my project to help you out.
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Fredo »

I have added the final touch to my Black TwinStick project, so I give you a summary of all the work accomplished. You already saw most of it but it is really to make it all back together.

Step 1 Switching parts from the Saturn TwinStick and replacing the Special Button by a yellow one to fit with the arcade panel design.

Step 2: Dismantling everything and painting the case in black:

Step 3: Wiring the internal Madcatz Fightpad PCB, including Xbox Guide button and Headset jack.

Step 4: Photoshopping an Xbox logo to replace the Dreamcast one
I give credit to the author of the logos (link)

Step 5 Putting everything back together, the logo is printed, plastified, cut and glued.

The Virtua twin Stick project shall be finished by the end of the week, I'll do the same but with more detailed steps as it took much more work.

French VO Pilot !
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Wow, it looks fantastic! Added to Custom Twin Sticks roundup.
MentholMoose
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Fredo »

Thanks !

French VO Pilot !
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

I like what you did so far for your stick. It looked Fantastic.
What are you going to do about the Empty VMU Window?
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Fredo »

In fact, the Macatz PCB is screwed to the VMU port you can see on the top of this picture so it is still a bit employed. But there is nothing more I planned to do with this window as the stick already has everything it needs (Xbox Guide, Headset Jack etc)

There is a French proverb that says "Le mieux est l’ennemi du bien", wich can be translated by "Better is Good's enemy", meaning that sometime you shouldn't try to do something better when you risk to spoil what is already good enough. The TwinStick looks great like that, there is no point touching this window, and I wouldn't risk spoiling everything.

Ho and by the way, I often use the VMU window of my Dreamcast controllers as a handle by passing fingers in, so it is still usefull.

Thanks for the comment though ^^

French VO Pilot !
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Fredo wrote:There is a French proverb that says "Le mieux est l’ennemi du bien", wich can be translated by "Better is Good's enemy", meaning that sometime you shouldn't try to do something better when you risk to spoil what is already good enough. The TwinStick looks great like that, there is no point touching this window, and I wouldn't risk spoiling everything.
I need to follow that. A while ago I had a perfectly good modded PCB in my DC Twin Sticks, but I got the bright idea of removing the analog sticks "just in case" and of course screwed it up completely. :cry:
MentholMoose
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive

Re: A new project of 360 TwinSticks *NOW COMPLETE*

Post by Fredo »

Ha ha, thinking about it, this proverb might be related to the fact tha French people are commonly known for their cowardness, whereas American are known for their hasardous yet adventurous spirit :lol:

Anyway, let's get to the point, my second project is now over ! :D

Step: 1: Switching handles from the dreamcast TwinStick

Step: 2: Getting rid of the damaged metal faceplate and build a new one in plexiglass

Step: 3: Screwing the sticks to the plexiglass (you can already see the holes for the buttons through the plastic case)

Step: 4: Photoshopping, printing and installing the artwork.
I prefered writting "Special" on it in order to prevent confusion with the real Start Button. I also prefered a 30mm button for it instead of a 24mm one in order to make it more accessible in game.

Step: 5: Installing buttons and handles
Gives you an idea of the final look, but all the wiring has to be done.

Step 6: Internal Wiring
I wanted to make it clean and easy for disconnecting everything. So I disoldered the small connectors of the original Saturn PCB and used them to build a small PCB.
ImageImage
Overall view of the wiring, every button and joystick are connected to a DB15 port:
ImageImage

Step 7: External Wiring
I wanted a system of external PCBs for 3 reasons:
- I already had a Dreamcast Twinstick external PCB I could use to play Draemcast VOOT, as my Dreamcast Black TwinStick is now 360-only.
- I now have a Saturn TwinStick PCB, I might use it someday to make it also Saturn compatible
- I have a Sega Genesis controller wired on DB15 that I used with my former X360 External PCB, and I have finished my new Arcade Stick, as PS360 PCBs are rare or expensive, by using an external PCB, I save money.

So I took a PS360 PCB and soldered every buttons and directions to a DB15 port and suited it in a project box. I used the former grey Special Button of the Dreamcast TwinStick as Xbox Guide and a white Sanwa 24 Button as Turbo button
ImageImage

Closed box and overall view:
ImageImage

Ok so now this project is over. The wierd thing is that the Black TwinStick went all according to plan and looks like what I wanted and planned, whereas the Virtua TwinStick Project went wrong and forced me to improvise a solution which made it far more awesome than I first expected !

I want to thank every one, on this forum or not, who gave me hints and ideas to help me make this !

And for those who are wondering what I did with the second Saturn TwinStick case I had, the answer is here

French VO Pilot !
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Wow, really nice work!! The wiring with the custom PCB is a nice touch. I also like the custom arcade stick you built with the extra case. I updated the Custom Twin Sticks roundup thread.
MentholMoose
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Fredo »

Thank you Menthol !

The custom PCB was a little personal challenge but appeared to be a good way to make a clean wiring for the extra A B X Y buttons, otherwise, I could have simply soldered the connectors directly to the wires coming from le DB15 port.

I will upload the template I used to make this, in case anybody wants to do the same.

French VO Pilot !
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

Fredo they both look nice. Nice clean wiring and awesome custom panel art.

I also like your Virtua stick mod that you did. Looks really classy. Mind if I show other people this stick?

Yes its a shame whats going on with the PS360, the old ones are discontinued and the PS360+ is delayed from release by months and there is a vendor who have to cancel and refund ordered he took from customers for the new PS360+ PCBs. Kinda foolish to take pre-orders before the product has a release date.
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Fredo »

Ho thanks ! :D
I found the artwork here and photoshopped it to fit a Saturn template:
http://ot.virtual-on.com/temp/rap_ot210mm.png

Here are some pictures of my Virtua Stick Alpha:
http://fredo.sausage.free.fr/Photos/tut ... a/VSA4.jpg
http://fredo.sausage.free.fr/Photos/tut ... inside.jpg
http://fredo.sausage.free.fr/Photos/tut ... a/VSA3.jpg
http://fredo.sausage.free.fr/Photos/tut ... /plexi.jpg
You can show them but please give me the links of where you posted them.

I put a small internal PCB to plug it to my PC as it can use up to 12 buttons. The 3 extra white buttons are used for MAME as "insert Coin", "Pause" and "Menu", very useful !
More over, all the buttons are connected to the DB15 port, in order to plug it to my external PS360 PCB.

French VO Pilot !
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Fredo »

Hey guys, long time no see ! I've not been playing Virtual On for quite some time, but i do not forget this game and I'm waiting for OMG to be released on Xbox 360. Though, I've been practicing VOOT a bit for week, as I'll participate to an event called "Mecha Games Conventention" in Paris this week end, forcing me to update my TwinSticks as we will be playing VOOT quite a lot, despite the huge Steel Batalion LAN being the main event.

After losing a Street Fighter 4 tournament last year, I just "HULK SMASHED" my Virtua Stick Alpha's plexi, so I found a guy who could cut a new one in metal and asked him to make one for my Virtua TwinStick, so here it goes without the overlay:

About my Black TwinStick, I've wanted to make it Dreamcast compatible as it is not sure whether the event would be on Dreamcast or Xbox 360, and I prefer playing on my Black TwinStick rather than on the Virtua (Dreamcast sticks feeling better than the saturn ones). I took this good occasion to make a cleaner wiring by building a small PCB just like I did for the Virtua TwinStick:

ImageImage
You can see three rows of connectors: one is for the inputs (sticks, turbos etc), and the two others are for the outpouts: DB15 or Madcatz fightpad PCB.

So here goes the DB15 port: glued a the bottom of the VMU port case:
ImageImage

So here we go
-Step one: plug the sticks and buttons to the small PCB

-Step Two: plug the DB15 port

-Step Three: plug the hackpad on top of that:

And here is the TwinStick pluged to the external Dreamcast TwinStick PCB:

The downside is that, if I want to play with it on Dreamcast, I have to open the TS and unplug the X360 hackpad, but at least it's quite easy thank to the connectors.

The family portrait of all my stuff:

French VO Pilot !