Welcome VO fans

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Welcome VO fans

Post by MentholMoose »

Hi, welcome to the forums. I'm a big fan of VOOT :) Hopefully there are some other fans out there...
MentholMoose
ajsuson

Re: Welcome VO fans

Post by ajsuson »

Good to you see you, guys... again. :)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Where have you been?
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

hey guys, glad to find an at least partially active VO site, many of the other ones, such as Virtualon.net aren't active anymore. But hey, just ordered Total Control 3 and a pair of saturn twin sticks yesterday, after that it's going to be a 24-hour virtual-on-a-thon

in other news, sega renewed their VO license along with a bunch of other games, this is pricey, and so i'm (hoping) that they'll come out a decent sequel to the game, as force and especially mars were letdowns.

anyone have a PSP out there? i made a virtual on themed background, and can upload it if you want.
anyhow have a good one.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

circuscommando wrote:hey guys, glad to find an at least partially active VO site, many of the other ones, such as Virtualon.net aren't active anymore. But hey, just ordered Total Control 3 and a pair of saturn twin sticks yesterday, after that it's going to be a 24-hour virtual-on-a-thon
Sweet, sounds like a plan!!
circuscommando wrote:in other news, sega renewed their VO license along with a bunch of other games, this is pricey, and so i'm (hoping) that they'll come out a decent sequel to the game, as force and especially mars were letdowns.
I haven't heard this news, got a link?
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

yeup!

http://kotaku.com/5112917/a-sega-tradem ... pset-about

that's about as much as i know.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Thanks for the link. It would be interesting if SEGA released VOOT for a next-gen system. If it had online play, I might just have to buy the associated console.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

haha, i know what you mean, i have a nes, snes, genesis, dreamcast, n64, gamecube, ps2, gameboy pocket, color, advance, sp, ds, and a psp as well. Never really needed a nex-gen, everything costs more, and the nostalgia is something to be factored in.

of course, read the comments, it would probably mess up on the Wii, and they would need to release a new line of control sticks just to accommodate.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The control is a key aspect of the game, so they would have to be good for me to buy it. If there was some funky setup using two wiimotes, I doubt I would bother with it. Also, I would be very disappointed if I couldn't mod my arcade sticks to work on whatever platform it was released on.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

someone needs to create a step-by step guide on how to make VO sticks with nothing but some radioshack joysticks, and a system (saturn, dreamcast) controller. Although i have seen the custom one here, it looks awesome!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I think it would be difficult to do for the DC (I don't know about Saturn). I don't know what exactly it would entail, but because the DC Twin Stick electronics differ from those of a regular controller, it would require hacking the electronics, and not just soldering skills. The difficulty would probably outweigh the costs of just buying some DC Twin Sticks.

For the PS2 it is easy, only requiring some soldering... I know because I looked into the possibility before MARZ came out (plus I have actually built a custom arcade stick for PSOne/PS2, which is the same idea). Of course MARZ was an utter waste of time, so I never made PS2-compatible Twin Sticks, but other people did (mainly for the SEGA Ages VO release).

For the various next-gen systems, I don't know whether or not it would be easy. If VOOT is re-released, I hope they just sell some new Twin Sticks (so converting my arcade Twin Sticks wouldn't be an issue).
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

i actually had an interesting idea, many people are opposed to the next VO coming out on wii (if it would), but what if they made a base, just like the gun for wii, it would simply hold the wiimote.

anyhow, i found one place that tried to make their own, or at least came up with their own idea.

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... php?t=7414

i have absolutely no idea what's going on in the pics.

they also linked to your website, which is how i found oratan.

i also wonder if there could be any way of having a third party create VO sticks (probably not likely at all).
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

circuscommando wrote:i actually had an interesting idea, many people are opposed to the next VO coming out on wii (if it would), but what if they made a base, just like the gun for wii, it would simply hold the wiimote.
My main concern is having good controls. VOOT requires seriously precise input... high precision is required for the gameplay in general, plus there are moves/attacks/etc. that require single or near-single frame accuracy. Is the wiimote capable of the high precision required by VOOT? Having sloppy controls was one thing I hated about playing VOOT in arcades.
anyhow, i found one place that tried to make their own, or at least came up with their own idea.

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... php?t=7414

i have absolutely no idea what's going on in the pics.

they also linked to your website, which is how i found oratan.
Interesting thread, thanks for the link. I got excited at the end with the guy listing part numbers for the joysticks, but on closer inspection I found that they are VOOM joysticks, not VOOT (I'll probably never be able to buy new VOOT joysticks again, and basically I dislike the VOOM sticks). In any case, what they are suggesting is not useful unless it is possible to trick a DC into thinking the DC Control Pad is a Twin Stick controller, and having the Control Pad be able to support the suggested input scheme.

There might be some way to trick the DC control pad into reporting itself as a Twin Stick controller... for example, there might be some "jumpers" that configure what the Control Pad (or any DC peripheral) reports itself as supporting... e.g. maybe there are jumpers for settings such as quantity of memory cards, or a unique ID that is sent to the DC. If you compare a Twin Stick PCB (pic here) to a Control Pad PCB, you'll see that the ICs are similar if not identical, so maybe this is the case, however I can only speculate.
i also wonder if there could be any way of having a third party create VO sticks (probably not likely at all).
It's possible, but it would be difficult to find someone motivated to do it at a reasonable price. Too bad I gave up on computer engineering in college before I got very far. ;)

EDIT: Another thought I just had would be to test out the Total Control 3 functionality when a regular Saturn controller is connected and the TC3 is set to the Twin Stick mode. Can you try this out? With this setup, does DC VOOT "see" the regular controller as a Twin Stick controller, and can you use all 14 inputs required by VOOT (two 4-way joysticks, two turbos, two attacks, start, and pause)? If this works, you can use a Saturn controller to base your Twin Sticks on.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

MentholMoose wrote: EDIT: Another thought I just had would be to test out the Total Control 3 functionality when a regular Saturn controller is connected and the TC3 is set to the Twin Stick mode. Can you try this out? With this setup, does DC VOOT "see" the regular controller as a Twin Stick controller, and can you use all 14 inputs required by VOOT (two 4-way joysticks, two turbos, two attacks, start, and pause)? If this works, you can use a Saturn controller to base your Twin Sticks on.
well, like i said, i just bought a twin stick and a converter (TC3), however i don't own a saturn yet (it's next on my list) so perhaps once then, i can try it.

another thing, i saw on e-bay recently, two buy-it-now CT:VO saturn sticks, with game, looks new, cheap prices.

does CT:VO have as bad controlling with a regular controller as VO:OT did? if so, homebrew sticks would be difficult to base off a controller(i remember the easiest control setting was where i had to hold down 'a' to turn in VO:OT).
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

circuscommando wrote:
MentholMoose wrote: EDIT: Another thought I just had would be to test out the Total Control 3 functionality when a regular Saturn controller is connected and the TC3 is set to the Twin Stick mode. Can you try this out? With this setup, does DC VOOT "see" the regular controller as a Twin Stick controller, and can you use all 14 inputs required by VOOT (two 4-way joysticks, two turbos, two attacks, start, and pause)? If this works, you can use a Saturn controller to base your Twin Sticks on.
well, like i said, i just bought a twin stick and a converter (TC3), however i don't own a saturn yet (it's next on my list) so perhaps once then, i can try it.

another thing, i saw on e-bay recently, two buy-it-now CT:VO saturn sticks, with game, looks new, cheap prices.
This might be the best solution unless you can spend the money for actual DC Twin Sticks. From my recollection, the DC Twin Sticks are slightly sturdier than the Saturn version, and the DC Twin Sticks have both PAUSE and START buttons whereas the Saturn sticks only have START (PAUSE is on the TC3).
does CT:VO have as bad controlling with a regular controller as VO:OT did? if so, homebrew sticks would be difficult to base off a controller(i remember the easiest control setting was where i had to hold down 'a' to turn in VO:OT).
I never played VOOM on Saturn; I think the controls might have worked better because the control scheme is more simple than VOOT. What I meant was that if a Saturn pad connected to a TC3 in "Twin Sticks mode" is recognized as Twin Sticks in VOOT, and all 14 inputs work, then you can easily make "perfect" Twin Sticks. Basically you will just connect each input on your Twin Sticks to the corresponding input on the Saturn pad.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

well, as soon as i get my Sat twin sticks, i'll put an order out for a sat controller.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Let me know how it goes.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

got the twin stick today, been sick with a fever though, haven't gotten a chance to really use it. maybe tomorrow, but i'll be able to order the saturn controller relatively soon.
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

yay, played it today.

holy crap it's hard, i still have problems getting past Z-gradt (is he the one in VOOT? or just CTVO?) anyhow, the guys on youtube are pros, i haven't figured out how to watch the reruns here on oratan.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The mid-boss in in VOOT is "Bradtos". For the replays on my site, you have to download them to a DC memory card, then use the VOOT replay feature to watch them.
MentholMoose