Title update, Hori Twin Stick Update and XBLA tourney

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
wraith88

Title update, Hori Twin Stick Update and XBLA tourney

Post by wraith88 »

http://vo-ot360.sega.jp/column.html
http://vo-ot360.sega.jp/update.html

Just some preliminaries:

Title update is dropping July 1st - pretty much the features that have been previously discussed is going to be on there. Also if I'm understanding this correctly, they're retaining the ability to save Leaderboard game clips but just not allowing a re-upload to the Leaderboards.

For those people who are sitting on the fence about the Hori twin sticks, a few updates:
1) Production has been green-lighted
2) Looks like Hori has listened to the demands of the fans and is working on a re-design including making the spacing between the sticks closer to the arcade version and also remodeling the grips to be closer to the arcade version :D
Of course they warned that there may be a longer delay, but who cares.
I don't know if those details will sway people one way or the other, but pre-order deadline is still July 2nd @ 3pm (Japan time) so there's still time to get a pre-order in with shopNCSX.com or whoever

An XBLA Oratan tournament is being held in Japan on July 4th. Not sure if it's only open to Japanese or not. Semi-finals will apparenty be broadcast for all to see on peercast.org (?)
Maybe one of the Japanese/Japanese-literate members of the board can elaborate on that.

All-in-all I'm still amazed at the amount of support an Xbox Live arcade game like this is getting.

Edit: apparently it's not just the stick spacing and the grips being changed, but the whole base housing of the twin sticks also is being remodeled
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Title update, Hori Twin Stick Update and XBLA tourney

Post by MentholMoose »

Wow, that's a lot of good news!
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Title update in a few days, sweet. I wonder if that had anything to do with VOOT not being available for download on XBLA over the weekend.

I have to say, Sega/AM2/Hori really do seem to try hard and satisfy the VO fans, be it the Title Update or Twin-Sticks. All the user requested changes to the sticks seem to be pretty drastic, as in lots of changes, and extra work for designers. Same with the Title Update too.

I wish Sumo Digital had the same dedication to it's titles, namely OutRun Arcade Online.
MurderDeathKill

Post by MurderDeathKill »

Damn, BlazBlue, KoF '98 UM, and now the patch for VOOT? Looks like I have the month covered.

Unless the netcode for '98 UM sucks; there will be hell to pay if I can't get decent games online because Playmore can't write netcode to save their lives.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_JP.aspx
Some of you guys might want to check out this site. It helps you figure out when the tournament is held in your timezone.
Title update in a few days, sweet.
In one day actually. It's already June 30th 11:36PM in Japan. We might even see the update in a few hours.
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

In one day actually. It's already June 30th 11:36PM in Japan. We might even see the update in a few hours.
Hmm, true. What was I think'n!

If it updates at the same time as normal XBLA titles do, then it'll still be another 18 hours or so. That's about 7pm-9pm Australian time, and I think about 2am American time, give or take.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I just went through the update page. Overall, it looks good! There's no mention of any improvement for saved replay management, though (I have tons of replays and no way to sort or search). Anyway, here's a run-down of the updates.

Spectator mode
You can choose the number of spectators allowed (up to six) when you join the party lobby. This is probably because if you are the "host" of a match, you will be streaming the game data to the spectators (so if you have poor upload bandwidth, you may want to limit the spectators). I'm not clear on when you can actually start spectating, though (it looks like you may only be able to spectate from the beginning of a round). Spectators can quit spectating at any time, though.

Updated graphics
It can be turned on or off in the game settings.

D-pad in Standard
You can now use the directional pad in the Standard control scheme!!!!! However, the awesomeness of this is tempered somewhat by the horrible d-pad on the official Xbox 360 controllers.

Rotating in Standard
Rotating now works properly in the Standard control scheme, and is on par with the functionality in the Dreamcast version.

Customization additions
You can customize the alternate forms of various VRs separately (Fei-Yen KN hyper mode, Cypher jet mode, and Bal-Bados -Baros and -Keros variations).

Controller vibration
The controller now vibrates during Raiden armor-break, Dordray "gigantization" (that's really how Excite translates it :lol: ), and Ajim self-destruct.

Leaderboard replays
You can save a leaderboard replay (go to watch mode after viewing it, then save it), but you cannot re-upload it. This is NICE! I'm so glad they didn't just fix the bug and prevent you from saving them altogether.

Ranked mode disconnects
I'm not clear on this. I think they fixed the bug that causes a timeout when starting a match in certain circumstances. Also they changed the functionality for losses increasing due to disconnects.

Public port
I'm not clear on this, either. It seems they fixed some bugs for the different variations not being chosen under certain circumstances.

Player mode replay saving
The bug which prevented certain replays from being saved has been fixed.
MentholMoose
feixaq

Post by feixaq »

MentholMoose wrote:Public port
I'm not clear on this, either. It seems they fixed some bugs for the different variations not being chosen under certain circumstances.
I think I read somewhere else that the transparent floor version of Public Port (the awful one where you can't tell whether you're on the ground or in the air) no longer appears as a random select or ranked match option; you have to specifically choose it to play on it. If so, that would be awesome, I really hate the transparent arena.
MurderDeathKill

MentholMoose wrote:Leaderboard replays
You can save a leaderboard replay (go to watch mode after viewing it, then save it), but you cannot re-upload it. This is NICE! I'm so glad they didn't just fix the bug and prevent you from saving them altogether.
I was sort of hoping the game would let you save a replay immediately after watching the replay, and not have to go through observer mode.
Wasn't it mentioned on this forum that you couldn't get the opaque-floor version of Public Port via random select and through multiplayer?
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

feixaq wrote:
I think I read somewhere else that the transparent floor version of Public Port (the awful one where you can't tell whether you're on the ground or in the air) no longer appears as a random select or ranked match option; you have to specifically choose it to play on it. If so, that would be awesome, I really hate the transparent arena.
Thats right. Many people complained. So, SEGA cut it for Ranked match and Random select match.
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Great...now I'm going to be spending the whole refreshing XBL to see if the update is up. :lol:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

A pity...I like the transparent floor of Public Port...
Nusakan

Post by Nusakan »

wraith88 wrote: 2) Looks like Hori has listened to the demands of the fans and is working on a re-design including making the spacing between the sticks closer to the arcade version and also remodeling the grips to be closer to the arcade version :D
Of course they warned that there may be a longer delay, but who cares.
I don't know if those details will sway people one way or the other, but pre-order deadline is still July 2nd @ 3pm (Japan time) so there's still time to get a pre-order in with shopNCSX.com or whoever
I'm guessing the sticks is still gonna be 30000 yen? Looks like i might have to bring out my soldering skills out of the closet. Haven't done that in a while lol. Might as well make use of my DC twin sticks i suppose.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Flyer wrote:A pity...I like the transparent floor of Public Port...
You and your VER.5.2 experience. Get with the times, this is VER.5.66! We don't want no invisible maps!
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

I hate it. I can't see the little box obstacles on one end of the map and I keep landing on them.

*shakes fist*
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Schooly D wrote:
I hate it. I can't see the little box obstacles on one end of the map and I keep landing on them.

*shakes fist*
Soon you shall shake your fist no more...SOON! 8-)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MurderDeathKill

Tomorrow, even.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

So did the update get released yet? Anyone have impressions?
MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

"I did it 30 minutes ago."

Ahem, anyways, the graphics update looks nice. D-pad works a bit better than I expected, but I couldn't give a damn now that I am used to the analog stick.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Woot for VOOT, the best just got a little bit better ^^

I'm a little dissapointed with how limited fei-yen's hyper mode customisation is....though I guess that can't be helped too much...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament