Japanese XBLA VOOT tournament to be broadcast on ustream

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Japanese XBLA VOOT tournament to be broadcast on ustream

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I'd play. I bet most regulars here would too.

The easiest way to deal with lag imo would be to have all of the non-Japanese players fight each other first. That way the guys in Japan only have to fight one person across the ocean instead of several.

I work night shift during the week, so early morning on the weekend is fine. :D
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

This is odd. I rarely have a problem with lags, even though I get 1 bar most of the time. It's only 5% of the time that the lagging becomes an issue. To make it weirder I have a pretty crappy internet connection too O_o
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I usually don't notice a difference between a 3-bar game and a 0-bar game, and most of my games are 0-bar. VOOT's netcode is really good. I'd say that only about 2% of my matches stutter to the point where I really notice it. You still want to reduce latency as much as possible in a competitive environment if it can be helped, though.

Sometimes I'm not really good enough at the game to know when one of my mistakes is due to just not thinking on my feet fast enough or due to lag.
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

I'm not good enough yet. But I'm working on it! :geek:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

Aw man now I really wish I was around for the chance to see pilots on this board represent next month :cry:
Oh well.

Anyways big thank you to anikingVOOT for trying to arrange this :D
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Sixfortyfive wrote:I usually don't notice a difference between a 3-bar game and a 0-bar game, and most of my games are 0-bar. VOOT's netcode is really good. I'd say that only about 2% of my matches stutter to the point where I really notice it.
Stutter is a separate issue from lag in general. I've had 3-bar games that were unplayable due to extreme stuttering, and 0-bar games that were smooth. Stutter probably warrants a dedicated rule separate from lag, although it will also be subjective.

The netcode makes lag manifest as a delay on apparently all inputs. The impact on your gameplay will depend on your VR and play style. For me (using Grys-Vok), it's noticeable in a variety of ways. One is freeze cancels... I have to adjust my timing for every freeze cancel I do in every game (might be dozens per round). This is not too bad as long as the latency is consistent during the match, and I rarely miss the timing on these during a match (there's no in-game "lagometer", so I don't usually know if it is me or lag). But, when I switch opponents, and play a match with a dramatic lag difference, I have to be very careful to compensate. If I'm playing a series of "important" matches, there isn't time to acclimate to varying lag levels, which is annoying. I consider a "dramatic lag difference" to be between 0-bar and 1-bar, 1-bar and 3-bar, and 3-bar and LAN/single player.

Another impact of input lag is on movement. Lagged movement is bad because in this game you have to move A LOT! :lol: It's really noticeable when you are trying to avoid something. Higher lag can mean the difference between a near miss and a potentially game changing hit. At any level of lag, your reaction time has to be excellent, but it has to be even better with high lag. Players push their gameplay to the limit, and realistically the limit under minimal lag is different than that of higher lag. So under high lag, you have to play differently. For example, this could mean aborting an attack that you would have tried under low lag.

Under high lag, CC is very difficult. The tolerances for CC are very tight, so actions that are difficult under low lag are nearly impossible under high lag. I think most players will try to avoid CC under high lag due to this. What I've found the hardest is blocking. So many times I've input block at the "right" time, only to get hit anyway. With 3-bars, I'm noticeably better than 1-bar, and just forget about it under 0-bar.

Yet another effect of input lag is inputting precise attacks. With Grys-Vok, forward and forward-diagonal dash cRW is very good offensive attacks. I prefer the forward-diagonal variation because it does more damage, but it shoots fewer missiles than the forward variation. So, I really have to have perfect timing to do the forward-diagonal version, and under high-lag, it is much harder. So I have to adjust my gameplay, and just do the standard forward variation since it is slightly easier to connect with.
MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Oh that explains it. The lagging doesn't really affect me considering I'm just some dumb and suicidal Battler user >_>
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Yeah, I know what you mean MM. I should have said that while stutter shows up from time to time, lag isn't as noticeable in this game to me. Sure, there are times where I think my input was timed correctly but I missed / got hit anyway, but it's not often that it feels like a blatant lag disadvantage. I usually just assume that I'm not reacting fast enough, as I'm sort of mediocre at the game anyway. >.>

The only thing that I make a conscious effort in adjusting is the timing for quickstep attacks. There's a marked difference in the timing window between playing someone in the States and someone in Japan. For most other things it's not so much of a mental exercise for me to adjust.