Best Gamepad for Virtual On?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
senappa
Gamertag: Senappa

Best Gamepad for Virtual On?

Post by senappa » 22 Aug 2019, 22:13

This is kind of a spinoff of my initial post where I've managed to jerryrig an XB360 twin sticks on the XBOne. With that experience under my belt, I figure I can use most USB-compatible controllers for VO play one the XBOne (as long as it has xinput/dinput support, either directly or through an controller emulation software).

Though I have a pair of Hori twin sticks, it's massive, and I might consider off-loading if I can manage to find a half-decent gamepad alternative for VO. Any opinions out there on this? And this is assuming using the gamepad for the twin-stick layout option -- the only way I know how to play VO.

Just my opinion of what I've tried so far:
- XB360 / XBOne pads - Though I prefer the asymetical analog stick layout for general gaming, I find this layout awkward for VO twin stick controls - so it's a pass for me.
- PS3 pads - The symmetrical analog stick layout is better the MS-fair for VO, but I find the sticks placed a a bit too close together for twin-stick emulation. Okay in a pinch, but less than ideal for me.
- PS4 pads - The extra size/width compared to the PS3 pad makes it feels slightly better to me than PS3 pads, but there's got to be something better.

I'm really looking at the Wii U Pro controller, as that layout seems to most closely represent the best twin-stick emulation. I've never used or held one - wondering if anyone had any opinions on possibly using these as twin stick alternatives?

Or is there any other pad not mentioned above -- that's relatively easy to find these days -- that would be suitable for twin stick emulation that you've come across? Let me know - thanks!

Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Best Gamepad for Virtual On?

Post by Porcupine » 23 Aug 2019, 21:00

Very few people or no one that I know of plays that way for an extended period of time, but I agree with your assessment of those basic controllers. I think playing that way is difficult because you may have to use your index finger to hit both the turbo and trigger buttons, or use your middle finger too. It's a weaker hand grip if you play that way.

senappa

Post by senappa » 24 Aug 2019, 20:16

Yeah, using the index/middle fingers to use the turbo/weapon inputs respectively is something that I'm ready to accept in a gamepad setup - from my experience, while I found this isn't as natural as thumb turbo/index finger weapons layout, it's seemed serviceable once I'd get used to the layout. I suppose one can look at specialty controllers with paddles/back facing buttons, but if I'm going to go the route of expensive and/or custom controllers... well, might as well just stick with the twin stick setup!

And after some amazon searching, another candidate that's made my list is the Ipega 9083 - and while this is really a mobile-device geared controller, the layout seems to suit the bill... and I can even artificially make it wider which might make it more suitable for VO twin-stick geared play...

Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine » 26 Aug 2019, 20:18

Come to think of it some of the Virtual On games allow you to set L3/R3 to something (push the thumbstick in) you could perhaps use those for turbos too.

senappa

Post by senappa » 28 Aug 2019, 18:50

Yeah, I recall trying the L3/R3 for turbos with one of the pads in back of my memory somewhere, but I found it somewhat unnatural as pushing the L3/R3 would tend to jostle the stick control enough to register inputs I didn't intend...

I've actually ordered both controllers off ebay (albeit a cheap knock-off version for wii u pro controller), so I'll see how they go in the near future...