VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Henshin1

Re: VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Post by Henshin1 »

I don't remember the exact prompts. But they ask something like if you would like to sign up for a gold account and if you select yes it displays afew options describing payment types. This is where chose to use my card. But if you just say no to that option and continue with the gamertag account setup, they give you one free month of xbla gold subscription.
I'm not sure if they've changed the system since i've last paid but i only got my xbox around 2 months ago so im sure this algorithm of theirs is still in place. So if any new xbox owners have bought a card to play online, when you make your gamertag, just say you dont want to sign up for a gold account yet, and you should get one free month. Then you can use your card to purchase your following gold account time.

I hope this saves you guys a little cash XD
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:I still didn't get a free month...though i don't remember being asked to subscribe for gold either so.....

Umm...yeah...the service was acting a tiny bit wonky that day so....
If your 360 was used, chances are it might not have it...
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

velocity7 wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I still didn't get a free month...though i don't remember being asked to subscribe for gold either so.....

Umm...yeah...the service was acting a tiny bit wonky that day so....
If your 360 was used, chances are it might not have it...
But if it's based on the subscription and not the system itself...gah, i'm confused.

Either way, i'll probrably buy a one-month next month or something...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

Henshin1 wrote: Just to go back a little bit in the discussion. I discovered they went a weird way about implementing the free month of live subscription. When you create a gamertag it will ask you to sign up for a gold account. If you say no they will give you a free month. If you say yes you buy however much you want but you dont get your free month. I bought a card and straight away used it and was suprised when i didnt get my free month. But basically if you've bought a card, when you create your gamertag just say 'you don't want to sign for a gold account' and then they will give you a free month worth of gold account. And when you have your free month, then you can use you card to purchase another 12 months. I hope that made sense, but yeah i was bummed out when i just used my card straight away and didn't get my free month.
That is a bit of a rip, I was only on dial-up when I first signed up with Live so obviously I wasn't going to spend the money and get a Gold membership. Opted for the Silver account and got the Gold month free.

Just to add, whenever you buy a game and it comes with a free month Live trial and you already have a Gold membership, just add the code in and a month will be added to your membership. I did this for three cards I had and it added three months!
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Good job Dreamcazman.

Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:There is a ton of new info to go through. On the system page, the first paragraph explaining the controls confirms that you can customize the key assignments!!! This was actually already confirmed in a previous column, but there were some reports that this wouldn't be included, so it's nice to have additional confirmation.
Right, but does that include the L/R stick "clicks"?
I think so, since on the screenshots showing the controller config, those buttons are included, but they have no functionality under the default control schemes. To me it doesn't make much sense to have those unused buttons on the configuration if it was not possible to use them.

EDIT: For reference, here's the screenshot I'm referring to:
http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg18 ... nt=VO1.jpg
Yep, looks like your mod is golden! 8-)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

I hope it's ok to post this question about modding here but since we're on the topic. I've been working on making my twin stick and im a lil dissapointed im not finished yet. But it's no biggie, i'll get used to the controller :P But my plan is to wire up my buttons to the clicks but i wasn't sure how to go about it since those two big boxes that hold the thumbsticks are there. Does anyone know if i have to remove these box things to wire buttons to the L/R clicks? or can i just solder the wire to the back of the pcb?
Thanks for any help on this one.
Check out this schematic...shows you were to solder the "clicks" from the back of the PCB.

http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagra ... agram2.jpg

8-)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Thanks Knoxximus.
I've seen the slagcoin images before but i just wasn't sure if i could solder straight onto the back. But i suppose i can. I'm also using a standard late wireless controller.
fliptopbox

Post by fliptopbox »

MentholMoose wrote:Also don't forget Twin Sticks. I don't think fliptopbox will be satisfied with a controller. Assuming you still have some Twin Sticks, the DIY option is basically the cost of a donor Xbox 360 controller. To hire someone to do it will probably be $75 or so (I haven't found anyone to do it... yet... everyone is busy with mods for SF4 controllers).
Thanks MM, and others, for the info. It looks like I can count on between $300 and $400, largely determined on how long I want my Gold account to last. Not sure I want to spend that right now. I'll think about it. :geek:

I've got a pair of old Saturn sticks that I've been carrying from move-to-move for this sort of thing. I would definitely sacrifice and solder an XBox controller. Maybe find some way to preserve the ability to use them on a DC via TC3, just in cases.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

fliptopbox wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:Also don't forget Twin Sticks. I don't think fliptopbox will be satisfied with a controller. Assuming you still have some Twin Sticks, the DIY option is basically the cost of a donor Xbox 360 controller. To hire someone to do it will probably be $75 or so (I haven't found anyone to do it... yet... everyone is busy with mods for SF4 controllers).
Thanks MM, and others, for the info. It looks like I can count on between $300 and $400, largely determined on how long I want my Gold account to last. Not sure I want to spend that right now. I'll think about it. :geek:

I've got a pair of old Saturn sticks that I've been carrying from move-to-move for this sort of thing. I would definitely sacrifice and solder an XBox controller. Maybe find some way to preserve the ability to use them on a DC via TC3, just in cases.
you know...you could always sell one to me...

No, don't do that, I probrably can't afford it ^^;;;;; I hate the current economy...

mechazoidal

Post by mechazoidal »

Heads up, the Amazon deal on the Live 60GB Starter Pack is back.

I just ordered mine, so I'll be looking to pick up a new 360 Arcade in the next few weeks(the local Best Buy is full of Jasper units). Good thing my garage sale is coming up!

Also, before you hack your Saturn sticks up, I'm looking into building one of these. Exciting! Long-disused college skills coming back into play!
MASTER

Post by MASTER »

I got VOOT online for 360. i also have it for dreamcast of course but my GT is o M A S T E R o

MASTER
The game of LIFE is hard! . . BEAT IT!
FIND ME @
DFWGames.com DOAcentral.com Youtube.com/DOAUMASTER
Twitter.com/oMASTERo Myspace.com/_DOAMASTER_
Xbox GT: o M A S T E R o and/or CGS MASTER