Deathmatch or Timed?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Frostycyke

Re: Deathmatch or Timed?

Post by Frostycyke »

I have over 250 games and have only had one dropper, who dropped during the replay of the last round. I'm not sure if i recieved any points from the win, though.

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

i've had a couple drops but this was before the match even started. as for rage quits, i've had none.

also if it wasn't for timed matches then specineff's death mode would be useless to use.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

MentholMoose wrote:
Frostycyke wrote:Fighting game Vets, particular Street fighter players, know the matra of playing to win all to well. There is no cries of cheap timed wins in high level street fighter. The keyword is high level, since the lower level players will always whine about anything they can't defeat. Some characters rely on the timer to gain wins, while others can't afford to be behind since they lack options to even the score before time runs out. This type of thinking adds another layer to the game, a layer that would be absent if there is no timer.

Timed rounds also allows weaker but faster characters the chance to work the clock better while chipping their opponent down. Imagine a Fei-yen vs a Raiden player. Fei-yen needs to work harder for her damage, and capitilize on several mistake mades by the Raiden player, while the Raiden player only really needs to punish just one mistake to do the same damage. The longer the fight goes on, the more mistakes both players will theoritcally make . The timer allows the Fei-yen's damage to mean something. The Raiden player can't just play it safe anymore and wait for that single mistake that will put him ahead, like he could in a death match. He has to take risks and push for the damage before times runs out. Making the game more interesting and exciting for both players.
Thanks for bringing this up, as it is something I didn't really expand on in my post. The difference in strategy forced by a timer definitely makes the game more interesting. As evenpar123 mentioned, a player can get 5% ahead and then run like crazy, but that is not a good strategy in most cases. Running away requires a significant enough lead to be practical under a timer.

Fast characters suitable for running away, such as Fei or Cypher, have to work hard to get such a lead. Since they have comparatively lower health than slower characters, it is difficult to obtain a significant lead. But they need a significant lead to actually be able to run away, because they can lose a lot of health very fast due to any mistake. That the game actually works is a testament to it's game balance, refined over years and numerous revisions. Health metrics were even tweaked between VER.5.45 and VER.5.66 (released only a few months apart), and I wouldn't be too surprised if additional tweaks sneaked into VER.5.66 on Xbox 360.
I ran into this situation today, using Grys-Vok. A Fei-Yen KN player got a 16% lead on me (100% versus 84%) with about 50 seconds to spare, and tried to run away for the rest of the round on Blank Frank. With about 5 seconds to spare, I closed in, traded hits, and took the round (and match) with 77% health to his 74%.
MentholMoose
nuru8

Post by nuru8 »

Same discussion was happen in Japan when time of OMG (not oh my god), is that 10years ago?

Many players liked "death match", but if 2 players tried to win, problems appeard.
It took one hour to end the match...

And also SEGA official rule is 80sec, so that most of archade started to set the limit.
Thats why when VOOT launched, no doubt for time limiation.

Lately most of VOOT higher skiled players think the Oratan as some kind of sports or serious match
(I also can understand that the sprit of winning is really sports)
then limited time often makes good match as others discussed.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

The official acronym for VO1 (OMG) always makes me laugh.
nuru8 wrote:Many players liked "death match", but if 2 players tried to win, problems appeard.
It took one hour to end the match...
Talk about "playing to win." :lol: I would love to see that match.