Impressions!

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Impressions!

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:My arcade Twin Sticks are just not working correctly. I moved LW and RW from the thumbstick buttons to the trigger buttons, and I replaced the left stick PCB, and it seemed better for a while, but later RW started acting up again, and then some buttons stopped working altogether! :lol: I was in a match with (I think) Tain and I couldn't shoot at all, so I just turned off my 360 in frustration. I'm pretty sure my custom wiring harness is just completely messed up with bad crimps, so I'm going to completely redo them before using it again. It could also be the controller, since it was acting strange (it is a Mad Catz after all). My soldering work looks OK, but I'll double check that also.

But anyway, I started using my modded DC Twin Sticks, and those work great. The LT seems a little bit off for some reason, though, so I'll have to take a look at it. Still, they're about 95%. I played 20 or so ranked matches tonight with the DC Twin Sticks and fared pretty well (record is currently something like 28-7).
O I C...so you're initial stick impressions were for the Arcade mod. Glad the DC mod is top notch! I was debating using my Saturn stick, since I have one of those, no Saturn, and 2 sets of DC sticks, but now I think I'll pick up a TC3 for the Sat sticks and go ahead with the DC mod.

What did you do for the guide button for the DC stick? In retrospect, would you recommend doing the mod like you did the arcade mod, where the PCB is still in it's Mad Crapz casing?
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

My only qualm with the gameplay right now, is I keep having this weird problem with forward air dashes, I think my xbox 360 controller is having delayed registration of left stick forward motion, so I keep ending up stalling in the air and gliding slowly to the ground, occasionally costing me matches.

Time to buy a new one, ugh, the bloody things are like 50 bucks...
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Ah. You'll have to excuse that last post. Alcohol was involved.

(P.S. Though my friends and I did have a good time yelling out "WORLD CHAMPION!" whenever I beat someone from Japan.)

(P.P.S. Take that, Japan.)
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Also, anyone else having difficulty getting the timing down for Turbo variations of CW? I often try to use cool-looking CWs but all that comes out is a dinky regular CW homing beam.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:What did you do for the guide button for the DC stick?
I wired up a small button, and have it hanging out of the VMU slot. Looks kinda ghetto but gets the job done, and isn't a permanent mod. I still will have to do something about the microphone jack, though. I guess I will extend the wiring so the jack is in the VMU slot.
Knoxximus wrote:In retrospect, would you recommend doing the mod like you did the arcade mod, where the PCB is still in it's Mad Crapz casing?
I think either way is fine, and just personal preference. For the DC Twin Sticks I wanted to keep the portability, and the pad fit inside just fine. For the Arcade Twin Sticks I had no choice since it wouldn't fit.
somepunk wrote:My only qualm with the gameplay right now, is I keep having this weird problem with forward air dashes, I think my xbox 360 controller is having delayed registration of left stick forward motion, so I keep ending up stalling in the air and gliding slowly to the ground, occasionally costing me matches.
It might be a timing issue due to the stick being analog, and/or caused by lag if this is happening online.
evenpar123 wrote:Also, anyone else having difficulty getting the timing down for Turbo variations of CW? I often try to use cool-looking CWs but all that comes out is a dinky regular CW homing beam.
Yes, I am. I assumed it was due to issues with my mod work, though.
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

evenpar123 wrote:Ah. You'll have to excuse that last post. Alcohol was involved.

(P.S. Though my friends and I did have a good time yelling out "WORLD CHAMPION!" whenever I beat someone from Japan.)

XDXD! You are crazy man. *high fives* Cypher pilots have to be. Just ask Dr. Yzerman. :P As for the cool looking CW...yea Cypher's 4 way? I remember the first time I accidently did that move waaay back when. Good luck with it, though. I so want to try this out just to see how it compares to the DC way of playing. Being a trained pad master and all. lol
"Nuh uh uh"
commonlogik

Post by commonlogik »

evenpar123 wrote:Ah. You'll have to excuse that last post. Alcohol was involved.

Thanks for the matches tonight, evenpar... or rather, the stomping you put on me =P~

You must've been yelling "WORLD CHAMPION" a lot though... that Cypher of yours is pretty damn solid.
"My style? You can call it the... the art of fighting without fighting." -- Bruce Lee, Enter The Dragon
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

commonlogik wrote:Thanks for the matches tonight, evenpar... or rather, the stomping you put on me =P~

You must've been yelling "WORLD CHAMPION" a lot though... that Cypher of yours is pretty damn solid.
Good games tonight. I might have won more, but none of them felt easy. A lot of them could have gone either way.

And thanks about my Cypher. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it's holding up online, given that it was developed over the course of a year and only playing against the AI. My matches against the people here have given me plenty of things to work on, though. :geek:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Sorry I had to cut it short guys, but I was having more problems with my DC Twin Sticks. :( I'm going to have to remove the analog sticks (which is a pain) on my donor control pad and set them to neutral since they occasionally are somehow activating randomly. I don't know why there is no option to disable the analog sticks in the "Type B" config (or disable the d-pad and face buttons, for that matter, since you will never need both the analog and digital inputs at the same time). It's not all bad news, though... I redid the mod for the turbo and weapon buttons and they seem to have improved.

The messed up analog sticks did stabilize for a while so I got in a couple dozen ranked matches, and lost a few. I played against a good Angelan player a few times... it was the best Angelan I've ever seen, played in a way I've never seen, and I got beat down twice. I started to adapt by the third match, and I managed to take a round and get somewhat close. I did OK by playing patiently and staying in mid range, but that player had some great timing and took the third round. :shock:

I played against a pretty good Raiden, the best I've seen so far online... it was close but I won. I can't help but think that Raiden is affected by the lag, although he did connect a couple times with the lasers. I played against another Raiden who actually wanted some CC action! Grys-Vok versus Raiden in CC is pretty ridiculous, but I hung in there and took him out. My CC skills seem to be adapting somewhat to the lag. I also played against two decent Grys-Vok players... I beat them both. :)
MentholMoose
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

The messed up analog sticks did stabilize for a while so I got in a couple dozen ranked matches, and lost a few. I played against a good Angelan player a few times... it was the best Angelan I've ever seen, played in a way I've never seen, and I got beat down twice. I started to adapt by the third match, and I managed to take a round and get somewhat close. I did OK by playing patiently and staying in mid range, but that player had some great timing and took the third round. :shock:
I'd luv to hear more on the matchup descriptively if its not too much of a pain. :) I kno its probably ptless explaining in words, tho i would like to hear what setups, tactics she used.
VMS

Post by VMS »

Impressions: I was instantly disappointed with the LACK of control pad mapping options! They could have done it right! You simply cannot map movement to the digital d-pad. Why not?

Also, an entire button must be wasted on the "jump cancel" command. Previously (VOOM on Saturn) jump cancel / crouch could be executed by hitting rotate left + rotate right simultaneously (L+R). Really, really easy & intuitive.

I guess I should ask is there a reason why this was changed on VOOT, specifically? I'm not a VOOT expert. It looks like Twinsticks are indeed a must again for this version of VOOT.
The super fighter invigorated us
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

VMS wrote:Impressions: I was instantly disappointed with the LACK of control pad mapping options! They could have done it right! You simply cannot map movement to the digital d-pad. Why not?

Also, an entire button must be wasted on the "jump cancel" command. Previously (VOOM on Saturn) jump cancel / crouch could be executed by hitting rotate left + rotate right simultaneously (L+R). Really, really easy & intuitive.

I guess I should ask is there a reason why this was changed on VOOT, specifically? I'm not a VOOT expert. It looks like Twinsticks are indeed a must again for this version of VOOT.
Ahhh...so you can't use the D-Pad at all? Hmmm...that would take some time to get used. Being so used to the DC's setup I thought it would've been golden to implement that. Although with the control stick...you're giving more precise movements im sure. And a jump canceling button? Ummm...it should just be crouch? It was on DC for 5.45 and 5.2...did they change that for 5.66?
*is confused*
"Nuh uh uh"
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

My Raiden went up against menthol for the first time, quite the matches, I was surprised, I didn't get stomped nearly as hard as I thought I would. That was the most fun I think I've ever had playing VOOT, thanks for the fights! We all had some excellent matches today, I got quite the party going! :D
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

I found the transition from DC Pad to 360 Controller to be surprisingly easy. It really only took getting used to the analog stick.

For example, to Watari dash with the stick, you have to bring it back to neutral and then point it in the new direction. You can't just roll the stick. So, while Watari dashing Fwd -> Right on the DC would have looked like this:

Up -> Right

... it now looks like this on the 360 controller:

Up -> Neutral -> Right

It's actually a little cumbersome -- I don't Watari dash much anymore. But other than that it's a seamless transition.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Yup, it was fun, had some great games! It's really nice to play people in North America with minimal lag. :D Although I did play a ranked match today against an NA player, and whatever Internet service he has was ridiculous... I think it might have been satellite!! The lag was like in "steps"... it would work for like 2 seconds, then pause, then 2 more seconds, pause, etc. He ended up disconnecting.

Regarding my Twin Sticks, I successfully removed the right analog stick (the one that was having problems) on the donor PCB used in my modded DC Twin Sticks, and I played for several hours with no issues! So I think it might actually be done! I'm not going to do the left stick unless it becomes a problem, since it was a nightmare to remove the right one... it took almost two hours total to remove most of the solder, remove the analog stick and two variable resistors, install the new resistors, and also repair one of the USB wires I accidentally severed! :lol:
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:Yup, it was fun, had some great games! It's really nice to play people in North America with minimal lag. :D Although I did play a ranked match today against an NA player, and whatever Internet service he has was ridiculous... I think it might have been satellite!! The lag was like in "steps"... it would work for like 2 seconds, then pause, then 2 more seconds, pause, etc. He ended up disconnecting.

Regarding my Twin Sticks, I successfully removed the right analog stick (the one that was having problems) on the donor PCB used in my modded DC Twin Sticks, and I played for several hours with no issues! So I think it might actually be done! I'm not going to do the left stick unless it becomes a problem, since it was a nightmare to remove the right one... it took almost two hours total to remove most of the solder, remove the analog stick and two variable resistors, install the new resistors, and also repair one of the USB wires I accidentally severed! :lol:
Guide plz. 8-)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:Guide plz. 8-)
Tomorrow. :)

Also, regarding my previous post against the excellent Angelan player, I finally beat him! I uploaded the replay, so check it out if I'm on your friends list. I think it's an interesting replay since it's not my usual play style... my normal style mostly fails against this player, so I had to use a subset of my skills along with extreme patience. I don't know how you could play aggressively against this player without being destroyed. I seriously damaged my ranked match record by playing him as much as possible, but it was worth it!! :D

Also, today I beat an excellent Apharmd B player, one of the best I've seen. He beat me a few times, but I got him once! It's seriously cool to get to play against so many people with unique styles.
MentholMoose
commonlogik

Post by commonlogik »

Done for tonight, but it's funny how I'm starting to remember stuff that is pretty important in playing certain characters.

Playing Apharmd-S, I totally forgot about selective fire and how substantially important it is to use it for AphS. That made firing his CW much more efficient.

Highlight of the night for me was opening and hitting with AphS's flying tackle! =D I totally forgot to save the replay tho =(

Also, have any of you guys watched some of the Score Attack replays of the top scores? MY GOD! I know, it's against the CPU, but the top score is held by a player named "tincoron" using Bal-Bados and he does a three-hit CC combo against Temjin 10/80 that includes Bal's "flying sardine" dash CC attack!?!?

Man, I wish i had the Robot Devil's hands to pull stuff off like that =(
"My style? You can call it the... the art of fighting without fighting." -- Bruce Lee, Enter The Dragon
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Just had some epic matches with a high ranked(gunnery sergeant, blue background) Apharmd B player called UnlivedPlayer, won most of them. Cypher's laser can be a very efficient way of repelling melee-ers, and apparently low altitude dashes work well as a main means of attack and evasion at close/mid range. At very close range dash->jump is safer obviously though. Its fun to use the environment against Apharmd B players, I purposefully landed a lot of my jumps on environment objects or behind them if possible, making their land catches easy to counter.

I'm still having a lot of trouble with some Temjin players, those dash shots take off so much health :|
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Zaarock wrote:I'm still having a lot of trouble with some Temjin players, those dash shots take off so much health :|
SERIOUSLY.